Description - External
Certified Operating Room Technician
Cardiovascular Operating Room (CVOR)
Full-Time No Weekends FTE 1.0
Westside Regional Medical Center
***$10,000.00 SIGN-ON ELIGIBLE***
External candidates only.
We're always on the move. You will find it is an exciting time at Westside Regional Medical Center, a 250-bed medical center and healthcare complex. Westside Regional offers the community the latest in the minimally invasive spine and colorectal surgery and is one of only nine Joint Commission-certified centers in the United States for minimally invasive colorectal surgery. Not only are we certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Agency for Health Care Administration (ACHA), but also certified as a Thrombectomy Capable Center by the Joint Commission. We are a teaching and research facility, offering Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs in podiatry, surgery, and internal medicine. Since our founding in 1974, we have been committed to expanding and improving every facet of the organization, devoting significant time and resources to enhancing the facility, staff, and medical care.
At Westside, we care like family! We invite you to explore opportunities with a family-oriented team of more than 1,200 professionals, along with almost 750 physicians that thrive in a fast-paced but friendly work environment. At Westside Regional Medical Center, our medical services combined with compassionate care, illustrate why we are one of the leading healthcare facilities in South Florida.
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Westside Regional Medical Center, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Some of our unique benefits we offer include:
- Student Loan Repayment*
- Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance Programs*
- Paid Personal Leave
- 401k (100% annual match – 3% to 9% of pay based on years of service)
- Identity Theft Protection discounts
- Auto, Home, and Life Insurance options
- Adoption Assistance
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)*
*If applicable, please refer to the CBA or the local HR office to confirm if this benefit applies to your position.
The Surgical Technologist functions provide assistance to the surgeon during the surgical procedure on all patient age groups in accordance with the mission, goals, and objectives of the facility. Duties include: room set up, draping, passing of instruments, retracting. This position can not perform the functions of first assistant, ie, dissection or suturing. As a Certified Operating Room (OR)Technician, some of your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Accurately completes all sponge, sharp, and instrument count. Demonstrates compliance with the current Count Policy and follows the proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to the circulating nurse and surgeon
- Clean and prepare rooms between procedures and after the last case; restock supplies when necessary and organizes effectively for end of case clean up
- Demonstrate compliance with TJC universal protocol by actively participating in the Time-out process by ensuring the Right Patient/Right Procedure/correct side-site has been marked and all necessary equipment including implants are available for the procedure
- Demonstrate knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential safety issues and employee injuries.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of instrument processing, sterilization, and biological monitoring. Follow procedures for steam and chemical sterilization
- Promote the perioperative orientation experience of new hired technicians and students by actively acting as a preceptor
- Aware of specific physician preferences: · Maintain and update surgeons’ cards · When picking cases, assures all routine supplies are pulled, identifies as needed items · Take initiative to ascertain new surgeon’s preferences/needs.
- Check sterility of supplies: · Examine sterile items for expiration date/indicator strip · Correctly inspect sterile items for integrity · Properly delivers sterile supplies to field · Ascertain appropriate temp and time of sterilizer prior to removing items
- Demonstrate knowledge of specific surgical procedures: GEN, GU, EENT. Ortho, Neuro, Plastic, Vascular · Request assistance if needed · Researches unfamiliar procedures · Discuss the procedure with knowledgeable individuals
- Obtain specific supplies, non-narcotic medications and equipment: · Check preference cards prior to case · Has supplies/equipment in room before case · Make arrangements to obtain special supplies · Checks all equipment/instrument for proper functioning and completeness prior · Has a working knowledge of the equipment/instrumentation or seeks assistance Use supplies judiciously and in a cost-effective manner.