SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
Located in central Austin, St. David’s
Medical Center includes a 350-bed acute care hospital and a 64- bed
rehabilitation hospital providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care.
It is home to the internationally renowned Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute and St. David’s
Neuroscience & Spine Institute. The
hospital provides a complete range of women’s services, including its acclaimed
maternity unit, maternal-fetal medicine, a high-risk maternal and neonatal
transport team, the region’s largest and most sophisticated Neonatal Intensive
Care Unit and The Breast Center; complex surgical services; a comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center; and a 24-hour emergency department.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package,
including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth
opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work
with us. Your benefits include 401K, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life,
disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock
purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about
this fantastic opportunity.
- Receives, decontaminates, tests, assembles, and sterilizes various reusable instruments and trays.
- Receives and stores supplies and instruments. Operates various cleaning and sterilization equipment.
- Assists the Supervisor Sterile Processing with quality control and documentation of all sterilization
Decontaminates patient care equipment.
- Retrieves equipment from operating rooms and utilization area at designated times and as the
- need necessitates.
- Performs decontamination and performance testing in accordance with established procedures.
- Utilizes cleaning agents in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Notify the appropriate Unit Supervisor and/or buyer of any malfunctioning equipment.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of equipment used in area
Prepares and sterilizes supplies
- Receives, prepares, and sterilizes items with steam sterilization in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Assembles surgical trays in accordance with current component list.
- Prepares and files appropriate documentation for each sterilizer load.
- Selects the appropriate method of sterilization for each item.
- Cleans and performs accepted maintenance on instruments and equipment.
- Properly loads, operates and cleans all sterilizers, and all equipment using biologicals and chemical control tests as required by policies and procedures.
Receives and stores supplies appropriately.
- Examines all received supplies for expiration dates, package integrity, or any visible damage that might compromise sterility.
- Rotates and stores stock to achieve first-in / first-out distribution.
- Reports stock shortages to the Sterile Processing Supervisor within a timely manner.
- Works collaboratively with sales representatives.
Operates cleaning and sterilization equipment.
- Performs daily or weekly sterilization validation tests per procedure per sterilizer in accordance with policy and procedure.
- Follows departmental established procedures and manufacturer’s instructions for operation of all cleaning and sterilization equipment.
- Monitors equipment through all phases of operation. Notes and reports within 15 minutes probable malfunction. Undertakes the appropriate procedure in response to a malfunction.
Must maintain safe work environment in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Maintains proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while in the decontamination area.
- Assures general cleaning of department surface areas, racks, shelves, storage cabinets and all storage areas.
Participates in unit activities.
- Assumes responsibilities of Sterile Processing Supervisor in his or her absence under the direction of the Manager, Sterile Processing when needed.
- Assesses others in adherence to principles of asepsis.
- Provides two in services yearly relating to sterile processing, to sterile processing technicians, and other Surgical Services personnel if needed.
- Ensures that all sterilization logs and records are correctly completed two times during each shift.
- Participates in budget and inventory control.
- Keeps supervisor and /or buyer informed of needed items.
- Participates in staff and self-development.
- Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the area.
- Participates in performance/process improvement.
- Assists with orientation of new employees.
- Completes Annual Equipment Competency Checklist.
- Attends 80% of Staff Meetings.
- Attends 90% of Mandatory Education Meetings and In services, if applicable.
- Performs other duties as delegated
Less than one year of experience as a Central Sterile Technician
High school graduate or equivalent
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Preferred: Certification through IAHCSMM or CBSPD
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.