SHIFT: Nights (rotating weekends)
St. David’s South Austin Medical Center
is part of St. David’s HealthCare
, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
in 2014. St. David's South Austin Medical Center is an acute care facility with 316 beds, offering a range of complex specialties and sub-specialties, including a nationally accredited oncology program with the area’s only adult bone marrow transplant program; a trauma program that includes all of the capabilities and programmatic elements of a Level II trauma center to treat the most severely injured and critical patients; a comprehensive cardiac program; full-service maternity and newborn care with Level I and II nurseries; and two full-service emergency centers in the communities of Bee Cave and Bastrop.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
South Austin Medical Center’s Women’s Services department is divided into 4 areas, L&D, Couplet Care, Level I Nursery and Level II NICU.
L&D is comprised of 9 Labor, Deliver, and Recovery rooms (LDR’s), 5 antepartum rooms, 3 operating rooms, and a 4 bed OBED. Care is provided to a variety of pregnancy related conditions including surveillance of fetal and maternal well-being by uterine and fetal monitoring, spontaneous labor and delivery, vaginal birth after a C Section (VBAC), induction and augmentation of labor, pre-term labor management, pre-eclampsia management, multiple gestation management, C Section, tubal ligation, dilation and curettage (D&C), and emergency hysterectomies.
NICU a 9 bed Level II NICU provides specialized total care and continuing observation to newborns 32 to 42 weeks’ gestation utilizing age specific considerations.
2N Mother/Baby Unit, which provides modified total care to obstetrical, gynecological and other women’s health medical or surgical patients. This is a 25-bed unit serving adolescent to geriatric women.
The care model at SAMC is Couplet care from birth to discharge for all uncomplicated deliveries. Labor nurses do joint recovery care for patients with assistance from Nursery Admit nurses and in conjunction with Newborn nursery nurses who assist with babies who need extra care or monitoring. Babies room-in with their mothers with the ability to observe babies in the nursery if mom needs time to rest or if baby needs a procedure or observation.
The Registered Nurse (RN) utilizes the nursing process to direct and deliver comprehensive nursing care to patients on an assigned unit in a safe and proficient manner according to individual patient needs. Provides direct patient care based upon South Austin Medical Center Hospital Standards of Care and Standards of Practice, Polices, Procedures and Practice Guidelines. Provides guidance and supervision to Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN), Nursing Technicians, Nursing Assistants and Unit Secretaries. He/she acts as patient and advocate with the Hospital environment. Assumes Charge Nurse responsibilities and accepts assignments on other units when necessary.
- Administers care for the obstetrical patient having surgical procedure in the Labor & Delivery Operating Suite.
- Intraoperative and post anesthesia care is in accordance with Hospital established standards of care. Performs steam sterilization processing of instruments and supplies for the MCH unit in accordance with Hospital standards for sterilization. Assures sterilization parameters have been met before utilizing supplies.
- Assists with the care of the newborn at deliveries.
- Maintains skills in neonatal resuscitation.
- Demonstrates assessment skills in both high risk and low risk obstetrical patients.
- Recognition of maternal and/or fetal problems are identified and reported to the physician.
- Assists with the transfer of newborn to another facility when indicated.
- Notifies charge nurse and House Supervisor of anticipated transfer.
- Notifies all surgical team members of emergency and scheduled surgical procedures.
- Accurately identifies and bands newborn, mother and significant others with matching identabands.
- Documents band identification number appropriately in medical record.
- Verifies band and medical record document with nursery upon arrival to nursery.
- Provides emotional support and assists in contracting Pregnancy Loss Support Group for parents/significant others experiencing grief due to newborn condition at birth, parental separation from newborn, neonatal death or fetal demise.
- Demonstrates knowledge and provides support to natural mother, agencies, and foster or adoptive parents when newborn is for adoption.
- Demonstrates knowledge of individual role in Hospital infant abduction plan.
Required: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing; Minimum of year current RN labor and delivery experience
Required: Current Texas RN license or Compact State
Preferred: STABLE, NRP, AWHONN Fetal Monitoring
Compact nurses must obtain a Texas RN license within 90 days of hire date
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.