SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Do you have a passion for
healthcare and helping others? Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced,
patient-centered environment? Jump-start your career in our OR Open Heart
department. Submit your application today!
HCA is dedicated to the
growth and development of our colleagues. We will provide you the tools and
resources you need to succeed in our organization. We are currently looking for
an ambitious full-time Scrub Technician to help us reach our goals. Unlock your
We offer you an excellent
total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit
package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do
excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex
spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program,
employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to
talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
LewisGale Medical Center (LGMC) delivers
quality care to our patients located in the beautiful mountainous region of
Southwest Virginia. LGMC is a 521-bed acute care facility and is the
largest hospital in the LewisGale Regional Health System (LGRHS). Through
our extensive network stretching from the Alleghany Highlands and Rockbridge
County to the Roanoke and New River Valleys, we have the privilege of serving
more than 250,000 patients each year. LewisGale
is also ranked among the top hospitals in Virginia and the nation for benchmarked
quality cancer care, patient safety and satisfaction and health outcomes.
Lastly, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid
Services (CMS) have ranked us among the top hospitals nationwide on quality
measures for our services and treatments to address heart attack, heart
failure, pneumonia and surgical care.
AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Scrubs cases as it relates to the unit
scope of care
- Dons appropriate attire required by
hospital and OSHA policies.
- Able to create and maintain a sterile
- Able to scrub routine cases with no
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical
anatomy and understanding of instrumentation and procedures.
- Does not divert attention from the
- Able to anticipate basic needs of
- Able to anticipate when to initiate
- Labels all medications on the sterile
- Demonstrates a complete knowledge of
instrumentation/sequence of procedure.
- Able to scrub independently on small
to moderate and specialty cases.
- Assists the Registered Nurse with
- Shows knowledge of circulating
components/responsibilities as evidenced by completion of skills
- Able to assist primary circulator in
- Able to place cautery dispersive
electrode on appropriate body parts knowing to check bony prominences; and
for metal implants/assess need for shaving at bovie sight. Applies
principles of standard and transmission based precautions.
- Helps maintain a safe environment for
personnel and patients.
- Assists primary circulator to ensure
smooth flow in the O.R
- Obtains needed medications from drug
cart and pharmacy for circulator.
- Able to assist the primary circulator
with little or no prompting and attends to needs of other staff members,
anesthesia, surgeon and patient.
- Assumes responsibility to check the
following cases of the day for accuracy and location of needed
- Exercises sound judgement and decision
making skills on behalf of patient, self, and peers.
- Able to identify potential problems
and critical situations involving staff and visitors.
- Completes skills checklist and keeps
- Volunteers to stay late to finish
cases or do cases which are rarely seen.
- Pursues opportunities to enhance
personal and/or professional growth
- Maintains current BLS for Healthcare
Provider training,completes mandatory education requirements, and
attends all in-services/ staff meetings on scheduled work days.
- Reviews minutes of meetings held on
- Pursues continuing education outside
- Communicates effectively with staffs,
peers, physicians, and other departments, while maintaining open
communication to all team members and other hospital personnel.
- Communicates in a positive manner and
utilizes appropriate channels of communication. Communicates accurate and
appropriate information concerning patient’s needs.
- Customer service oriented and strives
to meet high standards of nursing care.
- Identifies and assists in departmental
- Organizes work to complete duties
efficiently and effectively
- Strives to facilitate rapid turnovers
- Uses “discretionary time” to increase
knowledge of equipment or procedures.
- Restocks assigned room before end of
- Independently seeks out additional
assignments, assisting staff in rooms – second circulating; stocking rooms
- Serves as a professional member of the
- Able to share knowledge with other
- Able to identify conflicts with staff,
preceptor or surgeon.
- Able to be flexible in response to
changes in assignments/course of day, etc. Is available and
accessible when on duty and on call (be at the hospital in 30 minutes or
- Assists others with minimal direction.
- Promotes a pleasant and harmonious
working relationship in the operating room.
- Adheres to hospital policies and
procedures, supports the mission of the hospital
- Reports for duty as scheduled and on
- Adheres to Hospital & Department
dress codes and parking policy.
- Respects patients’ rights to
- Understands and supports the
philosophy, purposes, policies, & procedures and standards of the
hospital and the department.
- Adheres to JCAHO and OSHA regulatory
- Assist with development of new
policies and procedures.
- Encourages other to comply with
regulatory requirements. Has plan of action to meet goals.
- Stocks and organizes supplies.
- Restocks linen each day.
- Stocks carts with PPE: shoe covers,
hats, masks or hoods in an orderly manner.Maintains adequate supplies in
the scrub sink areas of paper towels, scrub brushes, scrub solutions, and
- Maintains the supply levels of mop
heads, trash bags and hospital approved detergent/chemical germicides used
in the department. Restocks formalin in specimen area.
- Restock trash bags, kick bucket, linen
bags, Neptune canisters, disposable gloves.
- Changes sharps container as needed
(3/4 full. Notifies front desk or Clinical Coordinator of problems obtaining
supplies. Available to staff in assigned area.
- Maintains adequate equipment in the
- Operates, maintains, and stores all
equipment in a knowledgeable, safe, and efficient manner.
- Cleans and disinfects non-disposable
equipment per department policy.
- Assists in moving equipment such as
video equipment, fracture table, or each room’s surgical and/or anesthesia
furniture and equipment. Equipment is returned to its appropriate
storeroom location in an orderly fashion.
- Keeps all storerooms, hallways, pre-op
holding area, and front desk area free from clutter or equipment.
Independently assumes the responsibility to organize store rooms or
- Anticipates needs in each O.R. and has
equipment outside of suites as needed.
- Provides for patient safety while
transporting patients within the hospital & Surgical Services
- Transports patients. Demonstrates
proper working knowledge of stretchers and patient’s beds. Assists in
cleaning and maintaining stretchers in working order. Makes up stretchers
with sheets/blankets to prepare for next transport patient. Reports
problems as necessary and returns all equipment to its proper
location. Selects proper equipment considering the size and age of
patient. Consistently anticipates next patient needed transportation.
- Checks OR schedule for changes in
patients to be transported.
- Safely assists in the positioning of
- Demonstrates the proper use of all
positioning devices, including but not limited to, operative beds,
stirrups, arm supports, padding, and securing devices.
- Assists in obtaining positioning
devices and padding as needed
- Transfers all patients to and from
surgical beds utilizing good body mechanics to prevent personal injury.
Patients will not experience any injury during the positioning or
- Notifies appropriate personnel if any
injury such as tissue damage are noticed, or if equipment is not
- Anticipates positioning help in OR
suites and is readily available for flipping patients and holding limbs
- Cleans O.R. suites after each surgical
case by containing all trash and soiled linen, cleaning all equipment and
furniture with hospital approved germicide, mopping the floors with a
clean mop head, and spot cleaning walls if necessary.
- Assures O.R. is ready for another case
by arranging furniture and equipment in proper location. Cleans
sub-sterile areas, lounges and hallways each day. Keep equipment and
carts free from dust. Independently monitors the O.R. and dusts surfaces.
Cleans any equipment before entering the restricted areas. Always
utilizes personal protective equipment.
- Demonstrates flexibility in unit to
perform other tasks that may be assigned.
- Assists in the operation of the
surgical department by completing assigned tasks that may include but not
be limited to the following: obtaining SCD sleeves and delivering to O.R.
suites, taking patient specimens to the laboratory, pathology or breast
center; stocking cast carts; defrosting department refrigerators; or
acquiring blood or blood products from the blood bank.
- Completes tasks in a timely manner.
- Notifies the front desk when leaving
the department on breaks or while completing tasks.
- Appropriately handles all trash,
regulated medical waste, and soiled linens within the department. • Trash
is contained and disposed of according to facility policy. All
regulated medical waste is contained and labeled, then disposed of according
to hospital policy.
- Utilizes Standard and Transmission
Based precautions when necessary. Calls housekeeping for trash and linen
pick-ups if needed. There are no incidences of trash or medical waste not
properly contained or labeled. Pursues own professional growth through
continuing education and in-services.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Graduate from an accredited Surgical Technology Program (required)
- 1 + year(s) of experience in healthcare industry (required)
- Prior CVOR experience (required)
- Knowledge of medical equipment, common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment (required)
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, & TRAINING:
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Health Care Provider upon hire
- American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Health Care Provider upon hire
- Certification in training as a Surgical Technician (preferred)
- Full Time
- Day Shift
- Rotating Call
- Holiday Requirements
are a family 270,000 strong! Our Talent Acquisition team is reviewing
applications immediately. Highly qualified candidates will be promptly
contacted by our hiring managers for interviews. Submit your resume today to
join our community of caring!
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.