SHIFT: No Weekends
St. David’s North
Austin Medical Center is part of St. David’s HealthCare,
one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. The 378-bed multi-specialty, acute care facility is
dedicated to the highest level of women’s health services, including maternity
and newborn care with Level I, II and III nurseries at the adjacent St. David’s Women’s Center of Texas. The facility also features a 24-hour emergency department, the
Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery, the Bariatric Center, heart and vascular center, neurology and
neurosurgery, a kidney transplant program, inpatient and outpatient surgery,
and acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, among many others. St.
David’s North Austin Medical Center is also home to St. David’s Children’s Hospital. In 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016, the hospital earned a national
distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group.
you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary,
excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and
your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO
medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement,
employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan
repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
Provides instruments, supplies and equipment free of contamination for a surgical intervention. Responsible to act as a preceptor for new and cross-training employees. Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handles instruments and supplies correctly to ensure service ability and safety of these items.
- Takes inventory of each set by use of instrument check sheets.
- Cleans, decontaminates instruments and equipment after each case according to hospital policy and procedure.
- Uses standard precautions in daily duties and follows all infection control procedures.
- Makes requests to the appropriate manager to maintain par level of instruments and supplies to keep sets complete and supplies readily available.
- Prepares instruments for sterilization using the proper procedures. Must understand the theory of sterilization and be able to apply critical thinking skills related to theory.
- Packages instrument set and supplies properly for type of item and ease of sterile distribution.
- Maintains a clean and neat work area.
- Must know proper operation and maintenance of all equipment in Sterile processing.
- Must document sterilization loads and associated quality control and biological control tests appropriately.
- Must be able to report abnormal test results, packaging defects, or instrument defects to ensure that the problem is corrected immediately.
- Handles all instruments with care particularly micro, fiber optic scopes.
- Assists in orienting and training new personnel to Central Sterile unit.
- Handles and processes patient care items for other department. Communicates with other departments effectively when needed.
- Knows the location of supplies and acts as a resource person to other staff members.
- Maintains traffic flow between decontamination area and Central Sterile area according to hospital infection Control policy.
- Cleans autoclaves according to department policies. Cleans tables, carts and racks on a daily basis.
- Organizes time and priorities to adjust to daily schedule demands of processing As shown by workload progress and completion.
- Coaches team members in disposition of instruments and supplies in the decontamination processes as shown by appropriate member compliance.
- Flexible in work hours and assignments as schedule demands.
- Anticipates instrument and supply needs by monitoring operative schedule relaying information to OR charge and team members so that the needs of the schedule are met.
- Participates in on-call duties for emergency procedures as needed.
- Complies with hospital/departmental policies and procedures, i.e., attendance, mandatory education, safety, infection control, etc.
- Demonstrates the working knowledge of instrument washer and steam and gas sterilizers.
- Carries out policies and procedures for sterilization according to AORN recommended practices.
- Carries out NAMC policies and procedures for decontamination, cleaning, maintenance, handling, storage and sterilization of surgical instruments.
- Demonstrates proper handling, inspection, testing, use and processing of endocops, endoscopic accessories and related equipment.
- Monitors proper storage and handling of supplies.
- Maintains inventory levels of supplies and places orders as needed.
- Employee’s conduct must reflect the Company’s values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
- Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: High School Diploma or GED equivalent or proof of higher level education if hired after January 1, 2014
Preferred: 6 months sterile processing experience or related training
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES:
Preferred: BCLS Certification