Histology Technologist I
Gainesville, FL, United States
This job posting is no longer active.
SHIFT: No Weekends
We are seeking a dynamic motivated laboratory based Histology Technologist like you to join our organization. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, a generous benefit package and growth opportunities. Your benefits include 401k, PTO, medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment (Spring 2019).
IRL is a full service provider for clinical laboratory and anatomic pathology services, providing hospitals, physicians, and clients with timely diagnostic information for patient care. Our infrastructure includes a fully automated esoteric core laboratory in Fort Lauderdale, a histology and microbiology operation in Largo, Florida and in Alachua Florida, and a network of hospital based rapid-response laboratories throughout Florida. Through the process of re-engineering and the application of leading edge automation technology, IRL has transformed laboratory operations into an integrated service network. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity!
As a Histology Technologist, you will review orders for necessary information and compare with specimen labels. Any discrepancies are noted and corrected by notifying sender. Specimens are processed according to procedure and analyzed as soon as possible upon receipt in the laboratory. You will evaluate normal and abnormal tissue types. Properly label, cut and embed tissue for microscopic evaluation. You will also assist with special staining procedures and organize work so slides are prepared, stained and ready for the Pathologist in the morning. You will recognize problems in variation of slide staining and investigate before reporting.
- Create organization and perform your work according to section procedure manual so that other personnel can follow workflow
- Analyze testing samples according to instructions and are completed within the allowable time frame
- Assume responsibility of the department as appropriate in the absence of the supervisor
- Consistently complete all required records/documentation pertaining to patient results
- Demonstrate the ability to use good judgment and independent thinking in the correlation and interpretation of patient results
- Perform quality control procedures per protocol and complete necessary documentation
- Assist supervisor in meeting department regulatory agency requirements (CAP, etc.)
- Ensure that equipment is operated correctly and periodic maintenance is performed according to schedule
- Utilize reagents and supplies appropriately
- Embed tissue specimens in correct orientation at a rate of 45 - 60 seconds per block
- Section paraffin blocks at an average rate of 35 - 40 blocks per hour
- Produce sections of correct thickness with a minimum of cutting artifacts
- Perform routine H & E stain performed according to Department procedure
- Recognize inferior staining prior to submitting and corrects the problem to meet standards
- Perform any on-site special stains and histo-chemical methods according to Department Procedure Manual
- Maintain working knowledge of procedural theory and utilizes knowledge in application of troubleshooting staining procedures
- Ensure cover slips slides and labels all slides with correct data and color
- Check all specimen containers for proper data; name, hospital number, date, specimen type, and physician errors are reported on discrepancy log and referred to Supervisor
- Provide for timely and accurate specimen tracking including department log-in, assignment of specimen numbers to specimen, order slips, and tissue cassettes
- Prepare smears, cell blocks, and Cytospin preparations according to Lab Procedure Manual
- Ensure correct Cytology and Pathology numbers are entered in the computer under the right prefix, as well as ALL clinical data provided; identification per each specimen, specimen/origin per specimen, followed by a brief description of the specimen, charges, and the initials of the person who entered the specimen
- Perform work in an organized manner thus allowing a smooth flow of work progression
- Perform assigned tasks within established turnaround time targets and effectively prioritizes work
- Maintain good relations with patients, medical staff, and other departments as well as other hospitals that use services
- Communicate with physicians and hospital personnel in an appropriate, courteous, and professional manner at all times
You Should Have:
- A 2 Year/Associate Degree in Science
- A 4 Year/Bachelor's Degree in Medical Technology is beneficial
- A State of Florida Technologist License OR the ability to obtain a license during the interview process
- Less than one year of experience in Histology; 1-3 years of experience in a high volume histology setting is preferred
IRL is a member of the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services, HCA Healthcare. HCA Healthcare ranks on Fortune’s list of Most Admired Companies for three consecutive years. In addition, HCA Healthcare has also been named one of Ethisphere’s World’s Most Ethical Companies. Join our tradition of excellence! HCA Healthcare ranks on Fortune’s list of Most Admired Companies for three consecutive years and HCA Healthcare ranks 63rd on the fortune 500 list. In addition Ethisphere named HCA Healthcare as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies. We want you to join our tradition of excellence. Are you intrigued? We’d love to hear from you.
If you find this opportunity compelling, we encourage you to apply. We promptly review all applications. We are actively interviewing so apply today. We are very excited to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.