SHIFT: No Weekends
The HCA Physician Services Group (PSG) is the physician and practice management solution for the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA). PSG operates more than 800 practices, 78 urgent care clinics, and partners with HCA’s 165 hospitals to structure employed provider programs, professional service agreements, and joint ventures that offer the communities we serve high quality, cost effective care. We manage a collection of highly motivated healthcare professionals and innovative leaders who are committed to excellence in every aspect of their career.
We offer an excellent benefits package, competitive salary and growth opportunities. Join our team and share your skills and talents with the nation's largest private provider of healthcare services.
The Pathologists' Assistant is a staff position responsible for assisting pathologists in performance of surgical pathology services. Under the general supervision of the pathologist, works independently when performing professional duties associated with examination and/or preparation of the surgical pathology specimens.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Responsible for the organization of and efficiency of workflow processes in the frozen section and gross examination areas.
• Triage specimen received from surgery; dictate gross findings on selected specimen using appropriate terminology; refer tissue sections for microscopic review by Pathologist or Resident.
• Select and identify tissue for microscopic study; determine proper fixative solutions in which tissue will be maintained.
• Perform specialized procedures such as frozen sections and decalcification; maintain and coordinate specimen and records for specialized procedures using appropriate protocols; submit request for special histological procedures and special stains when appropriate.
• Maintain records of surgical pathology specimen dissections and dictation; assist in the compilation of reports for surgical pathology; label and store gross tissue specimen.
• Photograph specimen samples as appropriate for use in instruction and documentation. Perform photo microscopy on cases considered for interdepartmental conferences or for teaching purposes; maintain complete and accurate records of all gross and microscopic photographs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES - This position requires the following minimum requirements:
• Basic knowledge of human anatomy, macro-surgical techniques, and general laboratory skills.
• Understanding of safety and infection control requirements of position, including the use of all medical and surgical instruments and equipments required by the work.
• Demonstrated ability to obtain and prepare tissue for evaluation, provide assistance to the pathologist in a timely and quality manner. Also in how to prepare and respond to preparing and cutting frozen specimens.
• Ability to communicate clearly.
• Proficiency in preparing and maintaining records.
• Use of electron communication tools and software.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with staff and the general public.
• Skill in identifying and resolving problems.
• Ability to create a clinic atmosphere which encourages motivation, innovation, and high performance.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited Pathologists' Assistant program preferred; Masters preferred.