SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in
the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the
beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process
that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community
when they need us the most. With 1013 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad
range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants,
emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the
Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support
and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in
the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred
hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research
Corporation. Methodist Hospital has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog’s
Hospital Safety Grade A, accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care, and
designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please
visit our website at www.sahealth.com and
select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
The Registered Nurse (RN) III is the patient and patient’s family advocate. The RN consistently applies and utilizes the nursing process, critical thinking skills, scientific judgment, technical skills, and leadership to independently deliver safe nursing care to patients. The RN collaborates with the patient care team to achieve quality patient outcomes. Communicates and utilizes interpersonal skills effectively and role models confidence and professionalism within nursing by active engagement in unit and organizational activities. Demonstrates team work, adaptability, and is a resource person to the patient care team. The RN is accountable for the quality of nursing care services delivered by self or others under their direction in accordance with the Texas Nurse Practice Act, hospital policies, and the Texas Board of Nursing rules for delegated nursing tasks (Chapter 224).
Essential Job Functions:
- Applies nursing judgment through a thorough, systematic approach of applying the nursing process, to include:
- Assessment: Conducts ongoing focused physical, psychosocial, and pain assessments; includes assessment of patient education needs.
- Planning: Utilizes the assessment, identifies problems, makes nursing diagnoses, formulates goals, teaching plans and outcomes to create an individualized plan of care. Identifies individual patient goals, readiness to learn, and incorporates family into the plan of care.
- Implementation: Prioritizes and implements an efficient nursing plan of care.
- Evaluation/Reassessment: Consistently conducts timely evaluations, recognizes changes in patient conditions, determines when reassessments are needed, and adjusts the plan of care as necessary. Compares expected and achieved outcomes of nursing care utilizing the plan of care.
- Collaborates with patient care team members on patient care plan, incorporating consistent use of hand-off communication and SBAR communication methods.
- Prioritizes tasks and adjusts priorities when necessary. Maintains an orderly, efficient, and timely flow of patients. Recognizes and reports errors or unusual occurrences, and initiates corrective action when appropriate.
- Makes accurate, complete, and timely entries into the patient medical record addressing all steps of the nursing process. Actively communicates with members of the healthcare team, patient, and patient family.
- Maintains current nursing knowledge to assure a safe working environment.
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Required: Graduate of an accredited diploma, associates, or baccalaureate degree nursing program.
- Preferred: Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required:
ALL of the following:
1) Minimum of twelve (12) months clinical experience working as RN in specialty area of hire.
2) Approved for and maintains requirements of the MHS Nursing Clinical Excellence program RN level III.