SHIFT: No Weekends
Job Summary –
The Bariatric Service Line Coordinator is responsible for
the development, coordination and implementation of the Bariatric Service Line
at Alaska Regional Hospital. This
position promotes and maintains positive working relationships with physicians
and staff who play a role in the care of bariatric patients. The Bariatric Service Line Coordinator
provides education to staff on the care and treatment of bariatric patients as
well as to the community on the bariatric services provided at Alaska Regional
Hospital. The Bariatric Service Line
Coordinator supports the mission, vision statements and goals of Alaska
Position Reports to
Key Interactions –
Bariatric surgeons, patients, and nursing unit staff
Job Duties –
- Serve as a liaison between the Alaska Regional
Hospital and MBSAQIP.
- Assists in center development, managing the
accreditation process and ensuring continuous compliance with MBSAQIP
- Maintains relevant policies and procedures,
patient education, outcomes data collection, quality improvement efforts, and
education of relevant staff in the various aspects of the metabolic and
bariatric surgery patient with a focus on patient safety.
- Supports the development of written protocols
and education of nurses.
- Serves as the liaison between Alaska Regional
and all surgeons performing metabolic and bariatric surgery at the center and
any general surgeons providing call coverage.
- Assists in maintaining the documentation of the
call schedule provided by all covering surgeons.
- Enter data into the MBSAQIP Data Registry
- Fulfill case abstraction duties, but also
fulfill ongoing training and recertification requirements.
- Enter long-term follow-up data on a compounding
number of patients over time, and fulfill requests for patient data.
(Education and Experience) –
- RN license or Registered Dietitian required
- BLS certification required
- A minimum of three years of nursing experience with
bariatric patients preferred
(Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) –
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- Strong clinical skills in the performance of nursing
- Knowledge of bariatric procedures and surgeries,
nursing care, and treatment plans
- Strong leadership skills and organizational
- Initiative and creativity in proposing and
- Ability to integrate duties with other
department programs to maximize impact and create efficiencies.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel, Access,