SHIFT: No Weekends
Good Samaritan Hospital is a 474 bed acute care hospital in the heart of Silicon Valley, with two locations, the main campus in San Jose, California and the Mission Oaks campus in Los Gatos, California. We are a recognized leader in neurosciences, high-risk obstetrics, comprehensive cancer services, advanced cardiology, and innovative surgery techniques. Our recognition includes being the first of only five hospitals in the country to become a Stroke Certified Hospital, one of only ten hospitals nationwide to be awarded the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer four consecutive times, and a Santa Clara county designated STEMI receiving center. We have also been chosen by the members of the communities we serve as the “Bay Area’s Best Place to Have a Baby” and “Family Favorite Hospital” for over 10 years. Recognition from so many organizations demonstrates our dedication to quality health care for the people of Silicon Valley.
The Manager of Emergency Services is responsible for the activities, supervision, management and direction of the Emergency Services Department in accordance with organizational and departmental philosophy and goals. This position will assist the Director in maintaining the highest degree of clinical and operational performance of the Department. The manager is responsible for leadership of Emergency Services personnel and/or students and functions as a resource for physicians, nursing staff and patients.
Responsible for the delivery of professional nursing care and provides leadership to staff. Requires basic understanding and ability to utilize the nursing process, develop and enforce guidelines of medical plan of care and departmental policies. Assess patients in order to plan, intervene and evaluate care.
This position is a day shift position, Monday - Friday
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse with the Board of Registered Nurses of the State of California
- ACLS Certification
- BLS Certification
- PALS Certification
- NIH Stroke Scale
- 3 years work experience in area of supervision required
- 1-3 years of progressive hospital/nursing management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Evidence of experience which defines competency in Emergency Services, hospital and healthcare management. Evidence of experience in successful administration and leadership of organizational management programs.
- Ability to manage department employee and labor relations / Human Resource related issues
- Ability to work at a fast pace and to prioritize multiple assignments/ projects and respond to numerous requests
- Ability to ensure operational efficiency, problem solve and make decisions, and exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Requires basic understanding of and ability to utilize the nursing process; Requires knowledge, ability and judgment necessary to: Exercise judgment within the guidelines of the medical plan of care, department policy and licensure practice act.
- Create or assist with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization and nursing standards.
- Current Microsoft, computer and other relevant software skills.
- Ability to resolve conflicts among staff and work collaboratively with department director, physicians and other members of the healthcare team
- Ability to sustain direction under minimal direction, in assessing needs, directing staff and carrying out departmental and professional responsibilities; self-starting and self-motivating; working hours may exceed eight (8) hours per day and is based on what is needed to accomplish work at hand.
- Oversee the supervision of personnel, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Promote effective communication within the multi-professional team and Understand management and delegation principles.