SHIFT: No Weekends
RN Manager ICU
The Medical Center of Aurora
The Medical Center of Aurora, the first community hospital in the Denver Metro area to receive two-time Magnet designation for nursing excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), is a 346-bed acute care hospital located in Aurora, Colorado. The Medical Center of Aurora is comprised of six campuses in Aurora and Centennial, Colo., including the Main Campus, located at Interstate 225 and Mississippi, the North Campus Behavioral Health and Wellness Center, Centennial Medical Plaza, Saddle Rock ER, Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital, Spalding Rehabilitation at P/SL, and a medical office building at Green Valley Ranch. The Main Campus facility is a Level II Trauma Center with Primary Stroke Certification and Chest Pain Center accreditation, serving the eastern metro area and I-70 corridor. The Medical Center of Aurora received ‘A’ grades from The Leapfrog Group (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Spring 2017), was named Colorado’s only 2016 Leapfrog Top General Hospital, was recognized as the #4 hospital in the Denver metro area and the #4 hospital in Colorado by U.S. News & World Report (2014-2015, 2017-2018), and was one of only nine hospitals in the country to receive the Lantern Award for Excellence in Emergency Room Care by the Emergency Nurses Association (2013).
This position supports the mission of The Medical Center of Aurora/Centennial Medical Plaza of optimizing quality of life of all those served by expanding beyond the traditional focus on medical needs to the needs of the whole person.
- The Unit Manager is an RN who demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care to his or her patients and to provide direction and supervision to other staff caring for patients in his or her patient care department/unit.
- Unit Manager reviews patient care daily, visits patients regularly, making suggestions to improve care and becomes involved in the care of selected patients.
- The Unit Manager organizes, coordinates, and facilitates patient care on her/his department/unit during all operating hours.
- The Unit Manager performs delegated management duties assigned by the Patient Care Director, which are consistent with her/his scope of practice and competence.
- The Unit Manager demonstrates an understanding of the budget process and staffing plan, implementing cost-effective strategies in staffing and supply management decisions.
- She/he participates in the interviewing, monitoring, coaching, evaluating and disciplining process.
- The Unit Manager supports the mission, vision, values, goals and objectives of TMCA/CMP and the HealthONE organization.
The scope and complexity of the Unit Manager position will vary based on the number of beds/visits/procedures in the department, acuity of patients, FTEs supervised, number of different medical staff and medical staff services involved, “normal working hours” responsibility or 24/7 responsibility, the activity level of admission, discharges and transfers per day, and the education resources available.
The Medical Center of Aurora/Centennial Medical Plaza expects our core values to be reflected in the way every employee interacts with co-workers, patients and family members, and with others in the community. The intent of these values is to assure that TMCA/CMP creates the environment where individuals choose to work, and that patient care services are of the highest quality.
- Current licensure in the State of Colorado as a Registered Nurse. Compact license acceptable but must obtain Colorado RN License within 180 days of hire.
- BLS and ACLS required.
- NIHSS, TNCC and/or TCAR preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in nursing required; Master's Degree in nursing or related desired.
- At least two years acute care/specialty nursing is desirable in area of specialty. At least one year previous experience in charge/supervisory or management position
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, physicians, and other health care team members.
- Ability to manage a team and work with others within a team to ensure quality patient care.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates good organizational skills, ability to teach or mentor in an effective manner, have clinical experience that enhances position, and ability to plan and provide for delivery of nursing services.