Job Title : Communications Specialist.
Company : HCA Air Life Denver
Required : Experience minimum on year dispatch experience (preferably Emergency Medical Dispatch). EMT Preferred .
AIRLIFE is the Emergency Medical /Critical Care Transport Service of the HealthONE system of hospitals, clinics and healthcare plazas providing air and ground critical care transport for both adult and pediatric medical/ trauma patients. The primary medical crews are comprised of two flight nurses or a flight nurse and flight paramedic, each with a minimum of five years’ experience in critical care, paramedicine and emergency nursing. AIRLIFE also provides High Risk Obstetrical, High Risk Neonatal and Intra-aortic Balloon Pump transports. These teams are composed of two caregivers from the following: primary flight team nurse, a specialty trained HROB nurse, nurse practitioner, or respiratory therapist
The primary purpose of this position is to receive and coordinate incoming requests for routine and emergency air and ground transport services. This employee activates flight team and initiates appropriate action based on protocol. Maintains communications with transport at all times and provides accurate transport following while team is en route, per established policies. Relays pertinent information concerning the transport, and documents all events and notifications. The coordination effort provides a smooth and efficient response by helicopter, fixed wing or ground ambulance.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: Current EMT certification is preferred.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalency.
Experience: Minimum on year dispatch experience (preferably Emergency Medical Dispatch).
• Must have some understanding of medical terminology
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including diplomatic and friendly telephone manner and use of professional vocabulary
• Ability to self-manage by taking responsibility to initiate, assess and take action as well as ability to function calmly in stressful situations
• Must be able to speak, hear and see clearly without impairment (corrective lenses, hearing aids, et. acceptable)
• Must have knowledge of FCC rules and regulations for communications system and use
• Functional understanding of communications equipment including telephone, radios, and recording equipment
• Knowledge of navigational terms is desired
• Must have general knowledge and recall of geographical region of service area and familiarization of map reading
Degree of Supervision Required:
Able to work independently and autonomously under strict policies and procedures with minimal support or supervision.
Orientation Period: Minimum four weeks orientation required (depending on experience).