SHIFT: Work From Home
Parallon believes that organizations that continuously learn and improve will thrive. That’s why, after more than a decade, we remain dedicated to helping hospitals and hospital systems operate knowledgeably, intelligently, effectively and efficiently in the rapidly evolving healthcare marketplace, today and in the future. As one of the healthcare industry’s leading providers of business and operational services, Parallon is uniquely equipped to provide a broad spectrum of customized revenue cycle services.
The Coding Integrity Specialist III (CIS III) reviews and evaluates hospital inpatient medical record documentation to assign, sequence, edit and/or validate the appropriate ICD-10-CM and ICD-10- PCS codes. The CIS III performs coding and/or code/DRG validation across multiple entities and applies all appropriate coding guidelines and criteria for code selections. The CIS III adheres to Company and HSC Coding Compliance policies and procedures for the assignment of complete, accurate, timely, and consistent codes for diagnoses and procedures. You will operate in a remote, work from home environment.
Duties (included but not limited to):
• Assigns, sequences, validates, and/or edits codes/DRGs and abstracted data (e.g., physician, discharge disposition, query tracking) for inpatient records for multiple facilities using ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS to include:
o Diagnosis description with appropriate 3-7 digit code assignment with corresponding Present On Admission (POA)
o Procedure description with appropriate 7 digit ICD-10-PCS code, date and surgeon
o Admitting Diagnosis o Discharge disposition
o Where applicable, completes the coding portion of the IRF-PAI
• Maintains or exceeds established accuracy standards
• Maintains or exceeds established productivity standards
• Utilizes the complete patient medical record documentation in code/DRG assignment, validation, and/or editing of codes/DRGs
• Initiates, reviews, and/or edits physician queries in compliance with Company and HSC policy where appropriate
• As needed, may periodically be asked to perform Coding Account Resolution Specialist III (CARS III) duties
• Reviews all official data quality standards, coding guidelines, Company policies and procedures, and clinical/medical resources to assure coding knowledge and skills remain current
• Follows all applicable coding guidance in assigning, sequencing, validation, and/or editing of codes/DRGs
• Meets all educational requirements as stated in current Company and HSC policy
• Practice and adhere to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Coding Technical Skills - ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, MS-DRGs, APR DRGs, and POA Assignment.
• Communication - communicates clearly and concisely.
• Customer Orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations.
• Analytical Skills – effective evaluation, synthesis and use of information gathered.
• Initiative – independently takes prompt proactive steps toward problem resolution.
• Organization – establishing courses of action to ensure that work is completed efficiently; proactively prioritizes assignments and keen ability to multi-task.
• Policies & Procedures - articulates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems.
• PC Skills - demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required.
• Quality Orientation – accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
• Work Independently – is self-supporting; not needing to rely on others to complete a job.
• High School graduate or GED equivalent required, undergraduate (associates or bachelors) degree in HIM/HIT preferred.
• Minimum 1 year of acute care hospital inpatient coding required, 3 years preferred.
• RHIT, RHIA or CCS preferred.