Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, located on Florida's Emerald Coast, seeks a Recreational Therapy Assistant to join our Executive Team!
The Emerald Coast features world famous vacation destinations of Destin, Fort Walton Beach and Okaloosa Island and is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is one of the nation's top performers on quality measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical care. The hospital has the tri-county's only comprehensive cardiovascular program. It is also the only acute care hospital in the area that offers open heart surgery, an Advanced Primary Stroke Center accredited by the Joint Commission, a Chest Pain Center and a Cancer Care Center that is affiliated with UAB and accredited by the Commission on Cancer.
The Recreational Therapy Assistant assists the Recreational Therapist by working to maintain quality Therapeutic Services programming in order to meet department and hospital goals and objectives.
1. Demonstrates competence when assisting in the assignment of patients based on the complexity of the patient's condition.
2. Assists the RT in providing patient care and documents patient care in compliance with department policies and procedures.
3. Assists the RT in planning, providing and evaluating patient education specific to the patient's needs, and is trained to work independently in the RT’s absence.
4. Serves as a patient and family advocate with respect to the patient's right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
5. Assists in evaluating and documenting patient response within defined timeframes, monitors and recognizes changes in physiological and psychological status, takes appropriate action based on the assessed need of the patient.
6. Practices, assists and endorses customer service skills in relationships with internal and external customers.
7. Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
9. Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient’s care which results in patient harm.
10. Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
11. Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
12. Regular, Punctual and dependable attendance.
13. As a crisis prevention intervention trained staff member, responds appropriately to a manpower request (a.k.a. Dr. Love).
14. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
· Recreational, Social Work, Music, or Occupational Therapy background preferred
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
· Reads and writes Basic English with the basic skills necessary to communicate therapeutic interactions
· Knowledge of body substance isolation
· Ability to listen, empathize and respond to patient, family, internal and external partners needs
· Basic computer skills