SHIFT: No Weekends
Del Sol Medical Center is a Level II Trauma, 347 bed acute care TJC accredited hospital. Within our hospital campus, we also house an Inpatient, CARF accredited Rehabilitation Hospital. We are located on the Eastside of El Paso, Texas right off of Interstate 10. We provide exceptional patient care services to the El Paso and Fort Bliss communities, as well as Southern New Mexico and West Texas Regions.
The SPD tech works in the decontamination room cleaning and assembling surgical instruments, performs other duties as needed.
- Cleans and decontaminates surgical instruments and equipment using detergents and disinfecting solutions.
- Wraps, seals, and labels items that are to be sterilized.
- Sterilizes instruments, equipment, surgical linen, and related supplies using plasma and steam sterilizers according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Prepares surgical packs, instruments, dressing, and treatment trays according to prescribed procedures.
- Stores sterilized and prepared supplies and equipment in designated areas or returns to user departments.
- Inventories equipment used and records daily patient charges using a computer.
- Informs bio-med of equipment no longer service able or other problems that arise.
- Compiles department statistics and files information as assigned.
High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
Certification for Sterile Processing preferred.
EXPERIENCE RQUIRED OR PREFERRED
At least six months of SPD, operating room or related experience desirable.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of surgical instruments, tray set ups, sterilizing techniques, and basic SPD practices. Ability to operate the plasma and steam sterilizer, and related equipment safely and efficiently;