DescriptionSHIFT: Mixed (rotating weekends)
Parallon believes that organizations that continuously learn and improve will thrive. That’s why after more than a decade we remain dedicated to helping hospitals and hospital systems operate knowledgeably, intelligently, effectively and efficiently in the rapidly evolving healthcare marketplace, today and in the future. As one of the healthcare industry’s leading providers of business and operational services, Parallon is uniquely equipped to provide a broad spectrum of customized revenue cycle services.
Job Summary – The Financial Counselor is responsible for reviewing the Financial
Clearance Worklist daily and visiting in-house patients; collecting estimated patient liability amounts; explaining all financial information, responsibilities and working closely with outside agencies to ensure patient’s financial coverage.
· Follow AIDET guidelines in all interactions with the patient
· Demonstrates excellent customer service
· In conjunction with the Medicaid Eligibility Staff visit all uninsured patients in-house
· Provide estimates to patients and/or physicians as requested
· Generate insurance verification and precertification reports daily and follow up with case management and insurance verification departments as appropriate
· Follows all guidelines set forth in the Cash Handling policy.
· Utilizes eligibility systems, on-line websites or phone calls to determine insurance benefits and precertification requirements
· Assist patients with payment arrangements and in co-ordination with the Medicaid Eligibility Staff assists patient with financial applications
· Contact patient employer, if necessary, for verification of employment, premium status, babies being added to policies.
· Escalates any concerns as needed to Patient Access Manager/Supervisor
· Enter pertinent insurance information into the HIS system (i.e. Meditech)
· Enters appropriate notes for all patient encounters
· Maintain professional image and implement excellent customer service to customers
· Complete financial analysis and collect estimated patient liabilities
· Follow up with patients for necessary signatures if they were incomplete at time of hospitalization
· Attends in-service presentations, and completes mandatory education, including but not limited to, infection control, patient safety, quality improvements, MSDS and OSHA standards.
· Demonstrates knowledge of occurrence reporting system and utilizes system to report potential patient safety issues.
· Practice and adhere to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”
· Other duties as assigned
· Communication - communicates clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. This includes utilizing proper punctuation, correct spelling and the ability to transcribe accurately.
· Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
· Interpersonal skills - able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
· PC skills - demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required
· Policies & Procedures - demonstrates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
· Basic skills - demonstrates ability to organize, perform and track multiple tasks accurately in short timeframes, have ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple demands, ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team player, adaptability, analytical and problem solving ability and attention to detail and able to perform basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately.