DescriptionSHIFT: Nights (rotating weekends)
Heart Hospital of Austin is part of St. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. Heart Hospital of Austin —home to one of the largest non-academic cardiovascular research programs in the world—is a 58- bed hospital with a comprehensive 24-hour emergency department, an advanced Executive Wellness Program, five operating rooms (ORs), including two hybrid ORs, three catheterization labs and two electrophysiology labs. It is one of the highest performing cardiovascular facilities in the nation, specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Healthgrades awarded Heart Hospital of Austin, in conjunction with its parent campus, St. David’s Medical Center, the 2016 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award™, 2016 Patient Safety Excellence Award™ and the 2016 Outstanding Patient Experience Award™—a unique trio of awards that only three hospitals in the nation were able to achieve. Heart Hospital of Austin has been named one of the Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals in the nation by Truven Health Analytics for nine years and to Truven's list of 100 Top Hospitals for four years, in conjunction with St. David’s Medical Center.
This Registered Nurse is responsible for performing assessments, developing a plan of care, implementing and evaluating the care. The RN administers medications and treatments as ordered by physicians and in keeping with the current clinical nursing practice. The RN is responsible for directing, monitoring and evaluating the care delegated to non-licensed personnel. As a member of the interdisciplinary care team, the RN works collaboratively with the other members to assure the safe and accurate delivery of care. In addition, the RN performs a range of technical services in a cross-functional mode to comprehensively serve patient needs. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
• Ability to formulate an individualized plan of care and revise plan by the patient’s response to treatment. Evaluate plan regularly for effectiveness.
• Communicates appropriately and clearly to Resource Nurse, Team Leader, and Physician.
• Demonstrates knowledge of cardiac monitoring identifies dysrhythmias and treats appropriately based on protocol.
• Able to perform a head-to-toe assessment on all patients per policy.
• Able to monitor hemodynamic status of patient and correctly interpret the results.
• Consults other departments as appropriate to provide an interdisciplinary approach to the patient’s needs.
• Coordinates and supervises patient care as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned
• Completes admission assessment and periodic reassessments according to patient’s progress and/or unit protocols and age-specific parameters.
• Documents findings and communicates all pertinent information to interdisciplinary team members as appropriate.
• Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in the development, evaluation, and revision of the plan of care as appropriate to meet the patient’s needs and goals.
• Provides competent direct care and ensures the provision of a safe and comforting environment resulting in a high level of patient satisfaction.
• Assists healthcare team members in the understanding of hospital policies and procedures.
• Provides education to patients/families/significant others, incorporating age-specific criteria and assessment of readiness to learn.
• Maintains patient confidentiality. Maintains standard precautions. Maintains all necessary documentation.
• Administers medications and completes treatments according to hospital policy and within age-specific parameters.
• Facilitates discharge plan in collaboration with interdisciplinary team.
• Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient care equipment.
• Coordinates response of the interdisciplinary team to emergency situations.
• Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
Staff / Unit Responsibilities
• Delegates appropriately to non-licensed staff in accordance with job descriptions, license requirements, and standards of practice.
• Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
• Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
• Maintains and develops own professional competencies. Maintains unit-based competencies.
• Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
• Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
• Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization Review program.
• Assumes a leadership role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
• Assists in directing and guiding staff in the coordination of unit operations.
• Supports the multi-skilled worker environment (i.e., cross training).
• Demonstrates willingness to assist other areas of the hospital as needed.
• Cross-trains and willingly works in other areas of the hospital accepting assignments within competency level.
• Effectively applies prioritization and time management to patient’s care.
• Assists in all aspects of care in the environment.
• Adheres to all policy and procedures.
• Ensures that a patient has a signed consent present in the chart prior to procedure.
• Assists with recruiting and interviewing of competent staff.
• Assists staff in problem solving work issues and in adapting to the patient-focused care environment.
• Trains staff on hospital computer system.
• Assists with orientation, evaluation, and retention of clinical staff.
• Adheres to dress code, conduct and attendance policies.
• Accepts both positive and negative constructive feedback.
• Demonstrates individual responsibility for keeping current by attending meetings, in-services, reading minutes and listening to taped reports.
• Expresses self in an organized, comprehensive, articulate and concise manner.
• Offers input in specific work plans and due dates.
• Follows through on planned assignments within assigned timeframes.
• Effectively prioritizes assignments.
• Demonstrates a willingness to accept extra assignments.
• Adjusts to change, work pressures or different situations without undue stress.
• Demonstrates skill in developing improvements in work methods.
• Maintains positive relationships with internal customers. Is effective in interacting with and problem solving.
• Maintains positive relationships with external customers. Is effective in interacting with and problem solving.
• Proactive in meeting customer’s needs. Responds promptly to customer needs or requests.
• Keeps Team Leader informed of problems, recommends solutions.
• Participates in education/development of peers and other staff
• SDH Annual Education
• Attendance Requirements
• Adheres to Department Dress Code
• Code of Conduct Refresher Course
Minimum of one-year adult, acute care with cardiology/cardiovascular nursing
RN Licensure from an accredited school of nursing
Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse with current state licensure from the State of Texas
RN licensure from state with the Nursing Compact – required to get a Texas license within 90 days of hire