SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
To provide quality care to patients, in accordance with the philosophy, goals, and objectives of Del Sol Medical Center.
1. Monitors patient activity and ensures safety at all times.
2. Maintains a direct line of sight with patient at all times, never leaving patient alone under any circumstances. The nurse should be called with any change in condition or if the patient becomes uncontrollable.
3. PATIENT SITTER is able to complete an assessment, with the aid of a checklist, of the environment to help remove or mitigate risk to the patient (Items such as sheets, gowns or call lights can be used to harm themselves). The room must be assessed each shift and after any visitors leave.
4. PATIENT SITTER understands that patients on suicide precaution may not leave the floor except for testing and or procedures. When the patient must leave for testing or procedure the PATIENT SITTER must accompany the patient.
5. Inspite of family or visitors being present for SUICIDAL patients the PATIENT SITTER must remain in the room and maintain line of sight.
6. Verbally intervenes during crisis. This includes the functional ability to quickly grasp various situations, develop rapport with emotionally disturbed people, and understand when people are or are not processing information, and be supportive or directive as needed.
7. Reading, listening to music, cell phone usage, or any other activity that would distract the PATIENT SITTER while working with patients is strictly prohibited.
8. Demonstrate understanding of HCA’s and “Patients First” safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
9. PATIENT SITTER must be able to write accurate, clear, and legible reports.
10. Demonstrates competencies appropriate to the age of the patients served. These competencies are demonstrated throughout the Position Competency Checklist and are not limited to the Job Description’s major responsibilities. Any negative responses to these criteria standards will result in an improvement plan for the employee.
11. Participates in the unit based Quality Improvement process.
12. Practices, endorses and provides customer service skills to patients, visitors physicians and staff.
13. Demonstrates knowledge and respect of patient rights to privacy and protection of patient confidentiality
14. Organizes and communicates patient care activities to the patient and to the Registered Nurse.
15. Monitors and documents information regarding patient activities, as directed by the Registered Nurse.
16. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
High School or equivalency,
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: (list required and preferred separately)
CPI training within 30 days of hire
Restraint training within 30 days of hire
Other de-escalation training/courses deemed necessary
• Certification from State approved Nursing Assistant Certification Course.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
• Prior acute care experience handling difficult patients or situations helpful
• Prior healthcare security experience helpful
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
Read and write Basic English.
Knowledge of body substance isolation. (Preferred)
Ability to listen, empathize and respond to patient, family, internal and external partner’s needs.