DescriptionSHIFT: No Weekends
St. David’s South Austin Medical Center is part of St. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. St. David's South Austin Medical Center is an acute care facility with 316 beds, offering a range of complex specialties and sub-specialties, including a nationally accredited oncology program with the area’s only adult bone marrow transplant program; a trauma program that includes all of the capabilities and programmatic elements of a Level II trauma center to treat the most severely injured and critical patients; a comprehensive cardiac program; full-service maternity and newborn care with Level I and II nurseries; and two full-service emergency centers in the communities of Bee Cave and Bastrop.
The Central Sterile Processing Technician decontaminates, prepares and sterilized supplies and instruments for the Operating Room (OR) and Surgery Units, and for various other units within the Hospital. Assists in the maintenance of all supplies, equipment and instruments in the OR system. Performs quality control and documentation related to sterilization process.
· Adherence to hand washing requirements, workflow patterns, standard precautions, sterility assurance, biological monitoring, and dress code.
· Validates and maintains: event-related protocols; disinfection and/or sterilization load parameters and records; inventory check sheet(s); and equipment monitoring.
· Meets regulatory requirements for sterilization, high-level disinfection, biological monitoring, and employee competencies
· Accurately documents and maintain daily records of all QA and sterilization functions according to regulatory agency and Infection Control standards.
· Adheres to organizational and departmental policies and procedures
· Participates in department employee orientation (DEO), meetings, and employee evaluation and competency programs.
· May assist in departmental in-services and training.
· Wears personal protective equipment
· Inspects, disassembles sorts, cleans, and processes reusable instrumentation and equipment.
· Selects and operates specialized cleaning equipment.
· Follows manufacturer recommendations for use of cleaning agents
· Follows device manufactures cleaning guidelines.
· Maintains adequate cleaning supplies
· As designated reprocesses flexible scopes.
· Identifies, inspects, and assembles all general and specialty instruments, various power equipment, laser and endoscopes instruments per specifications and manufacturer recommendations.
· According to manufacturer guidelines, selects and prepares packaging materials for the sterilization of reusable instrumentation.
· Selects appropriate method of sterilization.
· Maintains accurate sterilization records
· Properly loads and unloads sterilization cart items.
· Verifies that sterilization parameters meet before distribution of load
· Collects, cleans, checks, distributes, and tracks patient care equipment
· As designated, inventory assigned supply areas for replenishment, and rotates stock appropriately.
· Reports all malfunctioning equipment to department Supervisor.
· Demonstrates awareness of personal and work area safety at all times.
· Complies with facility safety policies and procedures, including those for blood borne pathogens and communicable diseases
· Takes prompt corrective actions when hazards are identified (reporting or removing, as appropriate)
· Attends required safety training, in-services and unit meetings.
· Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills and actively supports and contributes teamwork in the workplace.
· Demonstrates responsibility in adhering to posted work schedules
· No supervisory responsibilities
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: One year of college in a related field. Completion of a Sterile Processing Program
Required: Minimum one year previous Sterile Processing experience or as an Operating Room Technician.
Preferred: Four (4) or five (5) years experience working with instrumentation and infection control procedures
Required: Certification through IAHCSMM or CBSPD (within six months from date of hire)Apply Now