Conroe Regional Medical Center – Conroe, TX
Histotechnologist PRN - Laboratory
Conroe Regional Medical Center, where high-quality care meets the comfort and convenience of a hospital close to home. We have been meeting the healthcare needs of the Montgomery County region for more than 75 years.
As a regional, tertiary referral center, other hospitals rely on us when a higher level of care is necessary. We have 342 beds, 1,200 employees, more than 400 physicians on staff, and the resources of the largest healthcare provider in the nation - HCA.
Conroe Regional Medical Center has achieved recognition as a Certified Primary Stroke Center, an Accredited Chest Pain Center, and designation as a Level II Trauma facility. CRMC also has a Level III Neonatal ICU for the most vulnerable patients.
Conroe Regional Medical Center is currently looking for a Position - Unit.
Under the supervision of the Director of Laboratory, Pathologist, Laboratory Manager and Lead Histotechnologist, the Histotechnologist is responsible for the efficient and accurate preparation of specimens processed in the Histology section of the Laboratory in accordance with accepted practices and Departmental and Hospital standards of care.
1. Possesses comprehensive knowledge of the principles, techniques, and equipment utilized in the Histology Section
a. Receives specimens of tissues from surgical or diagnostic cases and from autopsies
b. Prepares tissue specimens.
c. Performs maintenance and operations of an automated tissue processor.
d. Embeds tissue properly.
e. Prepares specimens for frozen section methods, cuts section of specimens, and stains and properly labels sections for rapid evaluation by the Hospital Pathologist.
f. Assists with bone marrow procedures.
g. Assists Pathologist to select proper stains in accordance with type of embedding material used in order to bring out certain tissue elements as required for diagnosis.
2. Possesses basic knowledge of equipment operation required to provide routine maintenance and identify actual/potential problems of equipment functioning.
3. Maintains awareness of current Hospital and Departmental operational policies which impact on position responsibilities.
4. Calculates test results using standard formulas and form perception required to notice pertinent details of specimens under microscopic study.
5. Utilizes appropriate principles in the collection and handling of specimens.
a. Utilizes appropriate precautions related to infection control in relation to patients and equipment/ supplies.
b. Utilizes appropriate safety precautions in all procedures to ensure patient safety/comfort and to protect self.
6. Proficient in performing routine and specialized Laboratory procedures in the Histology Section.
7. Communicates effectively with patients, physicians, personnel, and other employees in the Hospital to fulfill position responsibilities
8. Maintains own professional growth through professional organizations, seminars, workshops, and other self-directed learning activities.
9. Alert to the detection of errors in own work and the work of others with appropriate corrective actions initiated.
10. Actively participates in Departmental meetings with a focus on providing input regarding improving the quality of patient care services in the Department.
11. Ensures that problems/concerns regarding activities in the Histology Section are communicated with appropriate personnel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
A. Must have completed a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree.
B. HTL (ASCP) certification or equivalent.
C. Histotechnology training in tissue processing, frozen sections, special stains and cytology preparation.
D. Experience in a clinical Histology Laboratory