SHIFT: Weekends Only
Registered Nurse (RN) Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist / Liaison
Part time Weekends, Sat and Sun 8-5
Location/Facility: Medical City Lewisville
Medical City Healthcare is one of the region’s largest, most comprehensive health care providers and includes 14 hospitals, 7 off-campus emergency rooms, more than 50 ambulatory sites, more than 7,000 active physicians and 15,000 employees in the DFW area.
This position acts as a liaison between internal and external referral sources, and rehab operations. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist is responsible for establishing relationships with case managers, physicians, payors, and other referral sources. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist will ensure appropriate patient placement through clinical assessments and screening in collaboration with the Rehab Medical Director. The Clinical Rehabilitation Specialist is the primary responsible party focused on the referral and admission process of the rehab program.
- Assist and coordinate in-take and pre-admission screening process. Accurately documents evidence of rehab admission criteria on Pre-Screen evaluation in a timely and legible manner. Pre-screen updates are completed within 48 hours of admission. Admission decisions are communicated to referral source within 2 hours.
- Perform on-site and off-site clinical evaluation to assist Rehab Medical Director in determining appropriateness of patient for admission.
- Provides information related to inpatient rehab and program features to patient and family members.
- Communicates to patient’s expectations and requirements for participation upon admission to the rehab program. Offers each patient and family a tour of the rehab unit; coordinating tour if unable to provide personally.
- Secures information relating to patients resources and benefits.
- Demonstrates clinical knowledge of rehab admission criteria, leading to appropriate identification of qualified rehab patients.
- Advises referral sources on inpatient rehab criteria.
- Functions as primary contact for external and internal case management and referring physician. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all referral sources.
- Completes face-to-face, in-service educational contacts with physicians, case managers, other interdisciplinary members and other professionals. Serves as educational resource to patients, family members and caregivers.
- Participates in market analysis, data analysis and development and implementation of marketing and business plans for the Rehab Unit. Contributes to the development and maintenance of referral source information such as brochures, flyers, referrals and information kit and other outreach and marketing tools.
- Proficient in time management. Prioritizes meeting commitments to referral sources. Develops a call-plan to prioritize utilization of time.
- Assists in developing the annual strategic plan for the Rehab Unit/Hospital, to include visible community outreach program and raise community awareness of services available.
- Ensures referral sources receive appropriate and timely follow-up communications regarding their patients and hospital programs.
- Develops back up system to handle calls when he/she is unavailable.
- Develops system that ensures calls are appropriately handled 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Licensed Professional in a clinical health care specialty, RN strongly preferred (i.e. RN, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, or Speech Therapist).
- Current state licensure in clinical practice area or eligible for state license transfer.
- Graduate of an accredited school in clinical specialty.
- Minimum 2 years recent clinical care experience.
- Professional appearance.
- Effective verbal, written and persuasive communication skills.
- Computer and keyboarding skills (25 wpm minimum).
- Ability to work with others to ensure quality patient care.
- Organization and time management skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Continuous focus on excellence in work environment.
- BCLS certification (AHA)
- Pass facility credentialing for Functional Independence Measurement (FIM) within 90 days upon hire, then maintains current certification.
- If RN, CRRN preferred and / or achieve within 2 years of accepting position.
- Clinical experience in the care and management of the Inpatient Rehabilitation patient.
- Experience as a clinical liaison coordinating admissions for inpatient rehabilitation preferred.
- Persistent and persuasive when faced with challenging circumstances.
- Ability to analyze data related to referral opportunities.
- Skilled strategy planning and goal setting.
- Ability to build strong relationships with referral sources while being engaging, accountable and responsive.
- Self-directed with problem solving capability.
- Ability to navigate a medical record for determination of medical necessity for an IRF admission.