SHIFT: No Weekends
HCA Graduate Medical Education is one of the nation’s largest providers of residency and fellowship training programs across the nation. With more than 203 programs across 21 specialties and 43 hospitals, HCA GME is building a leading network of innovative, patient-centered graduate medical education programs. We believe graduate medical education is much more than medical training. Our goal is to inspire the next generation of physicians to care for and improve human life by focusing on patient-centered approaches to practicing the latest evidence-based medicine. HCA hospitals currently train more than 2,650 residents and fellows with that number growing to 5,500 by 2020.
Under the Direction of the HCA-PSG Vice President of Graduate Medical Education, the Division Vice President of GME will provide the strategy, oversight and management for the GME programs in the Division. To accomplish the GME strategy the GME VP will need to acquire resources, build the needed Division GME Office and secure the needed collaboration of others in the Division and HCA. The GME VP will work to plan, execute and manage the GME Programs in the Division’s Hospitals and with Division-wide Consortium Partners. While working to understand the needs and business strategy of the Division and Hospital Leadership, the VP of GME will be responsible for being the knowledge broker and implementation leader for GME in their Division as well as being a part of the VP team implementing the HCA GME strategy for the entire enterprise. This includes assisting with faculty recruitment, problem solving for resident issues, facilitating smooth operations for GME Continuity Clinics, etc.
Successful candidates for this role will have an in-depth knowledge of the workings of Graduate Medical Education for either a single or multiple GME programs, understanding of the regulatory structure of the ACGME, and will have the administrative skills needed to oversee the implementation of GME programs within their Divisions which will include multiple teaching hospitals. This includes being able to lead GME institutional accreditation and program accreditation in multiple hospitals within a multi-hospital market/Division.
1. Be ready to be a team players in the newly formed GME initiative within HCA.
2. In collaboration with the VP of GME, design the GME Plan for the Division.
3. Provide oversight for all GME programs in the Division.
4. Serve as the Administrative leader and manager of the hospital based Program Directors, Directors of Medical Education (DME, Osteopathic Programs) and facility Designated Institutional Officials (DIO).
5. Work collaboratively with the Division Leadership.
6. Serve as needed as the Designated Institutional Official (DIO) for various hospitals while they are in a program building mode.
7. In partnership with HCAPS and facility CEO provide direction of GME/Continuity Clinics.
8. Provide subject matter expertise on GME and GME issues to Division and facility leadership and if needed Consortium GME Program leadership.
9. Manage the implementation and ongoing use of the MedHub residency management tool for the Division.
10. Actively meet with the hospitals to understand challenges and create solutions.
11. Be the conduit for the hospitals with regard to engaging the services of Germane Solutions to develop the Institutional or Program Accreditation applications.
12. Play a strong role in managing all ACGME and other sight visits to the hospitals.
13. Participate in enterprise wide as well as Division GME meetings.
14. Be the liaison for the Hospitals to the GME Corporate office.
15. Communicate clearly and often with Hospitals GME leaders especially relaying information from the GME Corporate office.
16. Serve as the Administrative head of the GME programs in the Division.
17. As needed, take on enterprise wide assignments to support the GME programs as a whole.
18. Develop needed communication and process plans to successfully implement the GME strategy in your Division.
19. Attend Division Leadership meetings to ensure the GME plan and needs are clearly being presented to Leaders.
20. Meets leadership obligations under the Ethics and Compliance program.
21. Work to design and build the needed Continuity Clinics and ensure fiscally sound operations.
22. Work with GME, Division and Hospital Leadership to continually evaluate existing programs and opportunities for new program building.
MD, DO or PhD
5 or more years of relevant GME experience in roles such as Program Director, DIO or VP of GME in a multi-program GME Institutional setting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Extensive Knowledge and experience running Graduate Medical Education programs.
• Knowledge of ACGME accreditation process.
• Ability to plan, organize, delegate and supervise.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities at once with minimal supervision.
• Skill in dealing with interpersonal issues and customer relations.
• Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of existing methods and procedures.
• Skill in hiring and managing teaching faculty.
• Ability to communicate effectively with clinical and administrative staff and the public.