SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
St. David’s North Austin Medical Center is part of St. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. The 378-bed multi-specialty, acute care facility is dedicated to the highest level of women’s health services, including maternity and newborn care with Level I, II and III nurseries at the adjacent St. David’s Women’s Center of Texas. The facility also features a 24-hour emergency department, the Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery, the Bariatric Center, heart and vascular center, neurology and neurosurgery, a kidney transplant program, inpatient and outpatient surgery, and acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, among many others. St. David’s North Austin Medical Center is also home to St. David’s Children’s Hospital. In 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016, the hospital earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group.
Provides overall coordination in the delivery of medical services and discharge planning for specified patient populations. Performs concurrent and retrospective review of patient medical records for purposes of utilization review, compliance with requirements of external review agencies including government and non-governmental payers and quality assurance. Promotes a cooperative and supportive relationship as liaison with patient, family, facility staff, physician; funding representatives and community agencies. Ensure continuity in the handoff of patient clinical information from the hospital to other involved healthcare entities. The duties of the RN acute care Case Manager may be performed as in the integrated or triad model.
Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Financial Assessment and Coordination
- Communicates proactively and cooperatively with Patient Access, Patient Account Services (PAS) and Central Verification Office (CVO) personnel to ensure proper pre-certification and consistency of admissions status designation between physician order and EMR.
- Communicates known changes to patient payer information and other relevant financial characteristics of coverage to appropriate admissions and/or billing personnel.
- Proactively ensures that required clinical justification is provided to third party payers to obtain recertification for continued hospitalization and treatment and that transfer of this information, together with days approved and contact information is provided timely to the PAS and CVO via computerized insurance review documentation.
- Serves as liaison between third party payers, patient access, PAS and CVO to ensure communication of all pertinent information regarding level of care, billing and reimbursement.
- Works with the patient and family to identify alternate financial resources available to meet the costs of necessary post-discharge needs or to recommend alternate care options when necessary funding is unavailable.
- Proactively initiates expedited appeals process with payers and communicates with denials management regarding anticipated or verified denials and cooperates with denials management to provide additional clinical information for appeals.
- Treatment Planning and Coordination of Services
- Educates patient and family on case manager role and process for contacting the case manager for questions.
- Coordinates the integration of social services/case management functions into the patient care, discharge and home planning processes with other hospital departments, external service organizations, agencies and healthcare facilities.
- Collaborates with clinical staff in the development and execution of the plan of care and achievement of goals.
- Facilitates interdisciplinary patient care rounds and/or conferences to review treatment goals, optimize resource utilization, provide family education and identify post-hospital needs.
- Ensures that patient tests are appropriate and necessary and are carried out within the established timeframe and that results are promptly available.
- Serves as a patient advocate by enhancing a collaborative relationship to maximize the patient’s and family’s ability to make informed decisions.
- Refers to social work cases where patients and/or family would benefit from counseling required to complete complex discharge plans.
- Utilization Review, Quality and Compliance Monitoring
- Conducts concurrent medical record review using specific quality indicators and clinical decision support criteria as approved by the medical staff, TJC, CMS and other regulatory agencies and documents findings.
- Initiates delivery of notices of non-coverage as appropriate.
- Reviews all new admissions daily against inpatient screening criteria and communicates necessary changes in status to Patient Access.
- Identifies all observation patients, reviews status daily, and communicates directly with the attending physician.
- Communicates with treating physicians at regular intervals throughout hospitalization of the patient to develop an effective working relationship, while assisting physicians to maintain appropriate costs, utilization of resources, and discharge plans commensurate with the patient’s available resources.
- Ensures physician documentation supports medical necessity and LOC for each inpatient day, educates physicians by aggressively discussing additional documentation needs as identified or discharge plans and conferring with Manager of Case Management and or Department Director and Physician Advisor as needed for intervention.
- Monitors and provides documentation of identified variance days for tracking and trending.
- Stays current with education related to CMS and HCA billing compliance mandates, monitors and ensures that facility is compliant.
- Facilitates delivery of CMS discharge appeals rights communication to applicable Medicare patients within indicated timeframe required by law.
- Provides retrospective chart review for short stay inpatients under Medicare for medical necessity and level of care prior to billing.
- Discharge Planning and Continuity of Care
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary care team, service liaisons, patient and family in the assessment and coordination of discharge planning needs, delivery of post-discharge services and transition of the patient from an acute level of care to the discharge setting.
- Facilitates delivery of Patient Information and Choice Letter to assure documentation of patient/family involvement with discharge planning and choice of post-discharge service providers.
- Facilitates the ordering and delivery of specialized medical equipment, orthotics and prosthetics as ordered by the attending physician.
- General Duties
- Attends meetings as required with Manager of Case Management and or Department Director and Medicaid Eligibility Vendor personnel to review observation admissions, extended LOS, unfunded and underfunded, and anticipated difficult discharges.
- Attends and actively participates in monthly staff meetings, and attends called departmental meetings when necessary.
- Attends and participates in facility committees, employee forums and departmental meetings as requested.
- Actively utilizes and complies with facility principles of good communication and customer service standards, including use of AIDET and KWAKT as developed by the department.
- Maintains compliance with required licensure, ethics and compliance training, annual mandatory TB screening and mandatory education as required.
- Prepares and presents in-service and training programs as requested.
- Employee’s conduct must reflect the Company’s values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
- Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required: Graduate of or completion of required coursework from an accredited school of nursing resulting eligibility for NCLEX examination. Three to five years clinical experience within an acute health care setting. Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Advanced computer skills.
Preferred: Graduate of accredited Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or higher level education. Work history in acute care case management role or related health care experience preferred. Working knowledge of case management philosophy/process/role, needs assessment, principles of utilization review/quality assurance, use of InterQual® or other clinical decision support criteria, discharge planning, and reimbursement structures (i.e. Government and non-governmental payers).
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Required: Texas RN License or a Compact RN license from a NCLA Compact State
Preferred: BLS certification as per SDH policy; ACLS certification as per SDH policy.
Reports to: Manager and Director of Case Management
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.