SHIFT: Weekends Only
St. David’s North Austin Medical Center is part of St. David’s HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. The 378-bed multi-specialty, acute care facility is dedicated to the highest level of women’s health services, including maternity and newborn care with Level I, II and III nurseries at the adjacent St. David’s Women’s Center of Texas. The facility also features a 24-hour emergency department, the Texas Institute for Robotic Surgery, the Bariatric Center, heart and vascular center, neurology and neurosurgery, a kidney transplant program, inpatient and outpatient surgery, and acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, among many others. St. David’s North Austin Medical Center is also home to St. David’s Children’s Hospital. In 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016, the hospital earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group.
SIGN ON BONUS AND RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
Hours: Fri, Sat, and Sun - 0700 to 1900 Weekends NO CALL
The St. David’s HealthCare Registered Charge Nurse (CN) supervises Registered Nurses, Licensed Vocational Nurses and other non-licensed nursing personnel. As a full partner of the healthcare team, the CN collaborates with all other healthcare disciplines to achieve successful execution of the patient’s plan-of-care and goals of the department. The CN serves as a professional role-model and interfaces directly with patients, families, physicians and staff. The CN utilizes physical assessment skills and advanced diagnostic technology to aid in the assessment of the patient’s nursing care needs. Data collected is analyzed, synthesized and disseminated to other healthcare providers. The CN continues to monitor and assess the patient’s physical condition, emotional and social needs, continually refining the plan-of-care to ensure achievement of the desired goals of the patient and facility outcomes. Under the general supervision of the unit’s Director, Manager or Nursing Supervisor the CN assumes responsibility for direction and coordination of all functions in the unit on his/her designated shifts.
Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed, and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
- Ensures implementation of operational standards which promote the maintenance of patient rights including but not limited to: Informed consent. Clarification of patient expectations. Explanation of treatment processes. Maintenance of confidentiality of patient information. Maintenance of patient privacy by minimizing exposure during all procedures. Adaptation of care to all ages of patients served. Ethical considerations. Handling of patient complaints. Ensures all LVN staff’s patients records reflect an admission assessment & care plan performed by a Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates sound knowledge base in nursing practice and its clinical application to the patient population served in the unit, including the operation of equipment, and policy and procedures used in the delivery of patient care in the unit.
- Maintains communication with other members of the management team regarding potential/actual problems or concerns, and with Medical Staff issues. Assists with establishing and maintaining communication channels with Medical Staff and other departments in the hospital.
- Supervises personnel providing direct patient care, with delegation of activities based on patient care needs and competencies of available patient care staff.
- Provides direct and ongoing supervision of staff with regard to conflict resolution and personnel policy compliance, including input and/or completion of performance evaluations and disciplinary actions.
- Assumes responsibility for resolving and/or channeling employee grievances according to appropriate procedures.
- Teaches, supervises and serves as a resource for staff, assists with clinical procedures as needed.
- Assesses for and assists in implementation of staff development programs to enhance professional growth of personnel.
- Facilitates ongoing performance improvement activities which correlate to the Hospital-wide Performance Improvement Program with involvement at all levels of staff on designated shifts as appropriate.
- Collaborates and gives input on staff schedules for final approval from Director.
- Makes assignments for the present or following shift to provide for smooth transition and ensures appropriate assignments throughout shift to cover changing patient needs and staff availability due to absences, breaks, etc.
- Self-assigns patients and functions as necessary based on patient needs and available resources on unit.
- Communicates directly with the director/manager on unit on staff performance issues needing attention.
- Maintains effective utilization and maintenance of manpower, equipment and supplies.
- Participates in cost containment programs as applicable to services provided.
- Actively participates in appropriate Department and Hospital committees and ensures that unit personnel are involved in this process as appropriate.
- Maintains own professional growth through appropriate organizations, workshops, seminars and other educational endeavors.
- Maintains awareness of current developments and trends in nursing practice.
- Rounds on patients during the shift.
- Follows up and ensures completion of patient treatment, tests and procedures. Ensures all medication discrepancies are resolved prior to leaving the shift.
- Monitors and maintains high standards regarding patient care and oversees compliance with core measures on applicable patients.
- Assumes administrative responsibilities for the provision of services on designated shift in collaboration with other members of the management team.
- Organizes, coordinates, and facilitates the delivery of patient care activities throughout the shift, assists with bed assignments, discharge planning, and census and support completion of physician’s orders.
- Communicates appropriately to other members of the health care team to promote continuity of care.
- Collaborates with preceptors and new employees, and facilitates new employees in becoming part of the team.
- Displays initiative to see process through to completion and offers assistance without being asked.
- Ensures repair and maintenance problems are reported promptly. Ensures all quality checks are conducted within given time frame, to include but not limited to refrigerator/freezer temperatures, crash cart, blanket warmer checks and other unit specific quality checks are completed as assigned.
- Ensures that Departmental mission and objectives maintained for the unit with interpretation of these objectives to staff as necessary. Coordinates departmental activities with responsibility for the assessment of the quality and efficiency of these activities. Assesses multiplicity of patient care and department service needs to coordinate assignment of nursing staff to meet all required services on the unit on designated shift.
- Maintains productivity guidelines; flexing staff as directed.
- Responsible for running the surgical board for optimal efficiency and patient safety.
- Demonstrates behaviors as outlined in the hospital Standards of Behavior
- Employee’s conduct must reflect the Company’s values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program
- Employee reflects SDH Service Excellence standards in every interaction.
- Other duties as assigned.
Hours: Fri, Sat, and Sun - 0700 to 1900
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The CN ensures all supervised nursing care meets the standard of care. A primary role of the CN is efficient bed management. This is achieved by collaborating with the House Supervisor, Case Management, Physicians and other interdisciplinary. The CN demonstrates knowledge of national patient safety goals, hospital core measures, performance improvement processes and service excellence quality initiatives. The CN is knowledgeable of all policies and practices relative to the role and duty performed. The CN demonstrates at minimum, basic computer skills related to the role and care of the patient. The CN presents a professional image and courteous demeanor at all times. The CN works autonomously, sets priorities and makes independent decisions of a complex nature. The CN interfaces directly with the public, physicians, staff, patients, administration and ancillary/support department representatives. The CN ensures the confidentiality of patients’ medical records. The CN is highly reliable and works as scheduled with minimal exceptions. The CN demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills adequate for performance of the position. Supervisory skills and team building capabilities.
Must be able to demonstrate understanding of national patient safety initiatives by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures as required by both HCA and St. David’s North Austin Medical Center.
Education & Experience
Required: Graduate from an accredited nursing program or current enrollment in an Alternative Entry MSN program; minimum of 6 months experience in a Staff RN role
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree; One year experience in Staff RN role or charge experience
License & Certifications
Required: Texas RN License or a Compact RN license from a NCLA Compact State; BCLS Certification
Preferred: ACLS certification