SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Northeast Methodist Hospital
Patient Care Technician (PCT)
Northeast Methodist Hospital has played a major role in the phenomenal economic growth experienced in northeast Bexar County. It is licensed for 116 beds and has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog’s Hospital Safety Grade A. We offer a full array of services including 24/7 emergency care, open heart surgery, cardiac catheterizations, inpatient rehabilitation, orthopedic surgery, cancer care, intensive care and inpatient and outpatient surgeries and procedures.
Northeast Methodist Hospital is an accredited Chest Pain Center and is a Certified Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. We are recognized as an Accredited Heart Failure Center by the Healthcare Colloquium and as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission. Our hospital has received the Mission: Lifeline® Bronze Receiving Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association for the treatment of patients who suffer severe heart attacks and the Texas Award for Performance Excellence. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com
and select Northeast Methodist Hospital under Locations.
We offer you a generous benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Disability and Life Insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time Off
Employee Discount Program
Employee Stock Purchase Program
Student Loan Repayment
General Statement of Duties:
The Patient Care Technician performs a variety of delegated basic patient care services related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living under the supervision of the registered nurse (RN) in a complementary and assistive role. He/she assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in accordance to the PCA’s training, competence and skill, hospital policies and procedures and the Texas Board of Nursing rules for delegated nursing tasks to unlicensed personnel (Rule 224.6). Consistently assists the patient care team with maintaining a clean, well organized, adequately stocked and safe patient environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Under the supervision of the RN, performs delegated patient care activities as directed and ordered in accordance with one’s training. Delegated tasks may include:
- Obtaining vital signs, height and weight, intake and output, calorie counts, and/or simple non-sterile dressing changes
- Safe patient handling: Turning and positioning, use of specialty beds, patient transfer and use of transfer devices, ambulation assistance and use of assistive devices, restraint alternatives, oxygen use and transport, suction use, pre-operative skin preparation and/or use of sequential compression devices (SCD)
- Specimen collection, including blood collection for bedside glucose testin
- Consistently assists with maintaining a safe patient environment, including:
- Addressing identified hazards in the physical environment of the patient room to prevent patient falls.
- Hand hygiene and consistent use of standard precautions.
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as appropriate following transmission based precautions procedures.
- Communicates accurate information for delegated patient care activities performed, including observed patient response to performed activities to the assigned RN (following hand-off communication guidelines).
- Assists the RN in collecting data from patients upon admission and assists with patient transfer or discharge preparations as instructed.
- Assists patients with bathing, shaving, oral care, toileting, grooming, changing linens, providing water, assisting with meal delivery, and feeding.
- Performs hourly rounding, consistently uses AIDET when interacting with patients, and responds to call lights timely.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
High school graduate or equivalent education
2. Experience: None
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service
line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population
served (if applicable).
4. Preferred: Previous PCT, PCA, Nurse aide, orderly experience in a healthcare setting OR
ONE of the following:
A. Completion of a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) training program AND
CNA certification with the Texas Department of Aging and Disability
Services on hire.
B. Completion of an EMS (Emergency Medical System) training program AND
EMT certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services on hire.
C. MHS employee in an LVN job description as of December 1, 2011.
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required: