SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Medical City Lewisville
Full Time (No Weekends)
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, the Surgical Technologist assist the surgical team in delivering direct and indirect care to the patient in the Operating Room, providing quality health care through the development of an organizational climate that is professional, compassionate and responsive to the patient, physicians and ASSOCIATES.
The Surgical Technologist must possess knowledge, judgment and skills based on the principles of biological, physiological, behavioral and social sciences within the scope of a Surgical Technologist basic training program. The Surgical Technologist assists the surgical team in identifying patient needs and plans and initiates interventions for resolution when applicable.
The Surgical Technologist demonstrates an awareness of patient’s rights and works to ensure patient privacy, safety and comfort.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participates in hospital or departmental performance improvement activities.
• Assists in damp dusting light fixtures, tables, Mayo and ring stands.
• Assists in checking supplies, instruments and equipment against preference card and/or obtaining any missing items.
• Responsible for scrubbing assigned procedures.
• Anticipates the surgeon’s needs in performing the operation and provides for a safe and sterile surgical environment.
• Uses supplies and suture judiciously.
• Accurately handles all specimens.
• Assists in cleaning the patient prior to applying surgical dressing.
• Assists in the care and maintenance of instruments, equipment and supplies.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the location, care and operation of all surgical instruments, equipment and supplies.
• Assists in cleaning and restocking all the operating rooms.
• Initiates and/or assists in updating preference cards.
• Adheres to Universal Precautions.
• Attends staff meetings.
• Seeks opportunities to improve department or interdepartmental processes.
• Serves as a clinical resource to department staff, students, volunteers and other departments, and contributes to the teamwork essential to ensuring quality patient care
• Takes appropriate measures to ensure safety of patients.
-Current surgical technologist certification or LVN licensure required for Surgical Tech II. (Certification is not required for employees hired into surgical technologist position with Medical Center of Lewisville prior to September 2009).
-Eligibility for certification required for Surgical Tech I, and certification must be attained within 180 days of graduation from surgical technology program.
-Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
-Graduate of an accredited school of Surgical Technology required.
-Documented clinical knowledge and skills related to Surgical Services.
-Previous experience, as a Surgical Technologist preferred.
-Effective verbal and written communication skills.
-Ability to work with others to ensure quality patient care.
-Strong problem solving skills.
-Continuous focus on excellence in work environment.
About Medical City Lewisville:
Built in 1976, Medical City Lewisville
is a state-of-the-art full-service medical and surgical facility offering 186 beds with 24-hour emergency services. Excellent customer service and patient safety are our top priorities. Medical City Lewisville has been identified as a High Performer for treatment of congestive heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease by U.S. News and World Report in their 2017-18 Best Hospital rankings. In the fall of 2017, we also received the prestigious “A” rating from The Leapfrog Group, a national nonprofit health care ratings organization for Hospital/Patient Safety. Medical City Lewisville is a great place to work — and the best possible place to receive care.