SHIFT: No Weekends
The Woman’s Hospital of Texas – Houston, TX
Manager - Risk Management
The Woman's Hospital of Texas opened in 1976 and ever since has remained the state's premier facility dedicated solely to the health of women and newborn infants.
Located near the Texas Medical Center, Woman’s offers 397 licensed beds, including a NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) and a full range of women’s health services and newborn infants.
More than 650 board-certified physicians at Woman's offer their expertise and an outstanding level of quality care in the areas of gynecology, obstetrical care, high-risk pregnancy and minimally invasive surgery.
The Woman’s Hospital of Texas is currently looking for a Manager - Risk Management.
- The Risk Manager is responsible for the hospital's risk management activities, which include coordinating insurance coverage and risk financing;
- Work with defense legal counsel to coordinate claim investigations;
- Process claims against the facility; including the preparation of records, documents, and providing to defense attorneys any requested information as necessary while maintaining privilege of PSWP;
- Notify HCI of all actual and potential claims;
- Work with security on procedures to reduce the frequency and/or minimize the severity of property loss or assets;
- Contract Review;
- Manage non-HCI cases: accept/process subpoenas, visitor events, property loss or theft, etc;
- Assist the Patient Safety Director with administering the Patient Safety Program on a day-to-day basis;
- Exhibit data fluency, and the ability to manage and analyze patient safety/risk management data from a plethora of sources;
- Understand and use basic statistical methods and formal analytic methods;
- Conduct Patient Safety/Risk Management educational programs that provide front line staff with the tools and equipment to be accountable for their role in patient safety and risk activities;
- Comply with The Joint Commission's risk management standards and take steps to ascertain that risks are minimized through follow-up and actions on all regulatory / insurance survey report recommendations / deficiencies;
- Review and formulate policy and organizational changes, making recommendations as necessary;
- Provide a global perspective in hospital patient safety activities ( a big picture view of the inter-relatedness of healthcare practices);
- Clearly articulate ideas and patient safety concepts in non-judgmental and non-confrontational ways;
- Utilize leadership and team-building skills to participate in the work of patient safety and assist Patient Safety Director with change management;
- Display integrity to maintain effectives and build the trust that is essential to the honesty and transparency of the Patient Safety Program;
- Maintain a current, up-to-date understanding of patient safety theory, methods, standards and regulatory requirements is essential along with a commitment to lifelong learning to maintain expertise in a rapidly changing field.
- Complete the work of patient safety/risk management with the objective in mind to advance patient safety and control and minimize risks at the facility.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Healthcare related field required
- Certification in Patient Safety (CPPS) preferred
- Current Texas RN license preferred
- TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer required or within 12 months of hire
- Minimum of one year healthcare epxerience specifically in patient safety, risk and/or quality required.
- Prior leadership/management experience preferred
- Healthcare experience should be recent and within a clinical setting such as Hospital, Ambulatory Surgery Center, etc.