This job posting is no longer active.
Valley Regional Medical Center – Brownsville, TX
Histology Technician- Laboratory
Founded as Valley Community Hospital in 1975, Valley Regional Medical Center proudly serves Brownsville and the surrounding communities. Valley Regional is committed to providing the best health care for the residents in the Rio Grande Valley.
Valley Regional Medical Center is a 214 Licensed Bed Facility with over 200 physicians representing over 25 specialties; Valley Regional Medical Center is a leader in a vast array of high quality inpatient and outpatient programs and services, including:
• 24 Hour Level III Trauma Emergency Department
• Open Heart Surgery
• Women’s Services
• Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Valley Regional Medical Center is currently looking for a Position – Unit.
Histology Technicians prepare slides of body tissue for microscopic examination by freezing and cutting tissues, mounting them on slides, and staining them with special dyes to make the details visible under the microscope.
1. Knows procedure for tissue preparation.
2. Prepares reagents for stains.
3. Ability to prepare 10% formalin from stock.
4. Enters correct charges for tissues.
5. Prepares and programs tissue processor.
6. Embeds cuts and places tissue ribbon on slide.
7. Stains and cover slips slides for presentation to pathologists.
8. Files and retrieves reports as necessary.
9. Files blocks and slides for retrieval.
10. Stores and rotates storage of specimens.
11. Sends out blocks/slides/reports to outside requesting entities.
• Basic computer skills and communication ability needed.
• Completion of Histologic Technician Program, Associate Degree in Biology, Chemistry, or equivalent in a
related field of study preferred.
• Registry certification or eligible at technician level.