Are you passionate about the patient experience? At HCA Healthcare, we are committed to caring for patients with purpose and integrity. We care like family! Jump-start your career as a Senior Systems Engineer zOS today with HCA Healthcare.
HCA Healthcare, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Come join our team as a Senior Systems Engineer zOS. We care for our community! Just last year, HCA Healthcare and our colleagues donated $13.8 million dollars to charitable organizations. Apply Today!
Provide advanced systems installation skills for the IBM z/OS mainframe environment with emphasis on z/OS installation, maintenance, support and deep knowledge of z/OS internal operations. Must be able to perform complex tasks and support complex systems with little or no supervision. Must be a mainframe technical lead. Must be able to host and lead conference calls with staff and vendors. This includes but is not limited to evaluating operating system failures, system dump analysis, opening & managing support tickets, problem resolution and providing ongoing communication to peers and management. Must be able to follow directions and follow up on tasks assigned from management. Must be committed to continual learning and expanding current skills. Specific responsibilities include installation of the z/OS operation systems via IBM ServerPac process and SMP/E utility. Responsible for helping with the implementation and support of z/OS Sysplex and the coupling facility/data sharing environment.
Other specific duties include assigned implementation, support and customization of IBM products JES2, TSO, ISPF, VSAM, Unix Systems Services, Catalog services and all related procedures and processes. Must have knowledge of IBM support procedures related to system maintenance and emergency software patches/fixes. Knowledge of the z/OS hardware environment (server, disk, tape) is essential and all skills related to maintaining that environment (i.e. HCD and IOCDS). Job requires 7x24 on call support; troubleshooting, coordination, assisting and advising in recovery from component failures of supported systems; assisting in best of breed technology evaluations, assist in product and system benchmarks. Must be able to interact with and provide technical direction for other uses at HCA. Must be able to explain technical concepts and provide training to others. Must be a team player. Must be able to interact with customers, outside vendors, contract employees and external consultants.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Secondary contact for the installation, support and maintenance of the latest IBM z/OS operating system and its components (JES2, TSO-ISPF, z/OS automation, SMP/E, ServerPacs, Sysplex, Coupling facility configuration and support).
• Advanced knowledge of IBM z/OS support environment procedures and processes. This includes PTFs, ServerPacs, APARs, RSU packages, zOSMF
• Advanced knowledge of z/OS IO subsystem and development of IOCDS and HCD
• Installation of software products, specifically, IBM zOS mainframe-based tools and other system utilities, TCP/IP, RACF, Unix System Services and VTAM
• Advanced knowledge of the z/OS hardware operational environment including Z server, HMC, DASD subsystem and virtual tape system (VTS). This includes all recovery (DR) components and capabilities.
• Knowledge of Disaster Recovery design, and implementation in support of a remote recovery site
• Advanced knowledge of z/OS operating system and component exits
• Development of tools, scripts or other programming opportunities as well as completing all related documentation necessary.
• Coding interfaces with many system management tools to gather appropriate data on IBM mainframes
• Determine requirements from the user community and translate those requirements into a tool that delivers value to our customers
• Development of operational procedures for supported systems
• Interact with end user departments, Product Development and IS&O staff. Outside relationships include vendors of data processing products and professional organizations
• Knowledge of zOSMF usage and capabilities
Should be proficient in use of desktop-based productivity applications, networking and open systems standards. No supervision required. Must be able to serve as project technical leader / coordinator for HCA mainframe related technical projects.
5+ years of relevant work experience required
Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Capable of working effectively under a high pressure and demanding work environment.
• Capable of working effectively in a diverse, virtual team-oriented environment.
• Must be a self-starter and work effectively with limited supervision.
• Must be customer-oriented and recognize the importance of customer service and meeting service level commitments.
• Must be committed to quality and timeliness of assigned deliverables and milestones
• Operating Systems • z/OS (IBM Mainframe) Applications/software: • COBOL • Assembler • REXX • z/OS JCL • ISPF
• Databases: DB2
Sitting for extended periods of time.
After-hours work will be required occasionally.
On-Call rotation will be required
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices and objects.
HCA Healthcare has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere Institute more than ten times. In recent years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
"The great hospitals will always put the patient and the patient's family first, and the really great institutions will provide care with warmth, compassion, and dignity for the individual."
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Senior Systems Engineer zOS opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What matters most to our diverse and talented colleagues is giving people the absolute best healthcare in the most compassionate way possible.Learn more about HCA Healthcare chevron_right
For questions about your job application or this site, please contact;
HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.