This position is incentive eligible.
Executives thrive with us! HCA Healthcare is one of the nation’s leading providers of healthcare services, comprising of over 180 hospitals and about 2,000 sites of care in 21 states and the United Kingdom. We are looking for a Chief Medical Officer for our HCA Florida North Florida Hospital team where excellence creates excellence.
HCA Florida North Florida Hospital, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as free telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan with 10% off HCA Healthcare stock
- Family support through fertility and family building benefits with Progyny and adoption assistance.
- Referral services for child, elder and pet care, home and auto repair, event planning and more
- Consumer discounts through Abenity and Consumer Discounts
- Retirement readiness, rollover assistance services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
- Employee Health Assistance Fund that offers free employee-only coverage to full-time and part-time colleagues based on income.
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
HCA Healthcare has expanded our influence across the healthcare industry by investing $3.5 billion in capital improvements in recent years. Do you want to be an influencer in healthcare? Apply for our Chief Medical Officer role today!
Job Summary and Qualifications
The role of the Facility Chief Medical Officer (CMO) ensures high quality, patient-centered care by leading clinical and quality initiatives that support the provision of consistent clinical performance and practice standards across the hospital. The CMO provides senior-level leadership to the infection control, risk management, safety, and medical staff credentialing functions, ensuring the collaboration and coordination of all stakeholders in these processes. The CMO facilitates the analysis of quality performance and prioritization improvement opportunities and consults on an array of issues involving physicians. The CMO also contributes to overall hospital strategy and service line development to ensure quality management and promote optimum patient experience.
What you will do in this role:
- You will lead clinical performance expectations that support the goals of consistent clinical performance and practice standards across the facility to ensure superior clinical outcomes and unparalleled patient experience
- You will work with Hospital Chief Medical Officers, Chief Executive Offers, medical staff, and Boards of Directors to improve the functionality and effectiveness of the hospital medical staff organization
- You will partners with medical staffs and hospital management teams, facilitating teamwork and shared goals. Represents medical staff viewpoints to management and relays management viewpoints to medical staff by establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships between HCA leadership and community and/or employed physicians.
- You will provide clinical support and consultation regarding cost-effective clinical resource management in the facilities by sharing reports and recommendations regarding how to reduce the variable cost per case while maintaining and enhancing clinical effectiveness
- You will create a data-driven environment of quality and cost improvement, and develops systems to review utilization of resources and objectively measure outcomes of care in the inpatient and outpatient settings
- You will serve as a direct liaison between HCA-affiliated physicians and facility/corporate clinical services functions
- You will establish and maintain an ongoing program to orient and develop management expertise for Hospital Chiefs of Staff, Medical Executive Committees, and other medical staff leaders by providing oversight and leadership for all medical education programs
- You will lead educational sessions and provides ongoing in-service programs to facility medical staff regarding clinical resource management, appropriate documents standards, utilization and quality issues, and quality improvement activities, in collaboration with the Chief of Staff or other clinical leadership in the facility
- You will assemble regional physician advisory panels to provide ongoing feedback to HCA senior management, and serves as a liaison between committees and facility/corporate leadership, as well as to affiliated physicians
- You will serve as spokesperson to HCA hospitals and affiliated physicians to explain and obtain buy in for corporate-, group-, and facility-sponsored clinical initiatives
- You will collaborate daily with other facility and corporate CMOs
- You will educate physicians on HCA clinical technologies
- You will collaborate with HPG and Supply Chain on formulary and supply opportunities
- You will develop, implement, and monitor disruptive physician and impaired physician policies, and develops monitoring and intervention programs in the region
- You will provide recommendations in the development and/or revision of hospital policies and procedures pertinent to the medical staff and medical staff affairs
- You will serve as a consultant to hospital Medical Staff Services regarding physician credentialing, utilization, and quality profiling. Serves as a member of hospital’s peer review committees as requested
- You will evaluates clinical appropriateness of new medical technologies and programs, and makes recommendations concerning the relevance of such technologies and programs to HCA hospitals
- You will serve as a resource and consultant to the Vice President Physician Services Group and/or Vice President Business Development in physician recruitment, clinical program development, and overall hospital strategy
- You will provide medical director services to facility-level physician credentialing, business development, and provider relations in contracting issues
- You will provide medical consultation on contracting, pricing, and analysis of managed care issues. Offers clinical support for appeals and denials process, discharge planning, case management, and utilization review/management
- You will consult with facility-level staff regarding delegated utilization management and disease management operations under managed care contracts. You will meet all regulatory/contractual/accreditation requirements associated with these functions
- You will serve as a clinical resource and consultant to hospital case managers and hospital staff in the reduction of payer denials and in the denial and appeals process, as requested by the Case Management Department and Patient Accounting Services
- You will attend corporate, group, division, and national meetings sponsored by HCA corporate to train and support quality improvement, risk management, patient safety, case management, medical staff affairs, and physician relations activities
- You will promote consistent, positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service
- You will provides clinical support and guidance in the development and deployment of all quality initiatives designed to increase the practice of evidence-based medicine within HCA facilities. Utilizes outcomes management techniques to monitor and improve care, quality, and safety. Demonstrates commitment and dedication to communicating the importance and precepts of evidence-based practice
- You will serve as a spokesperson for evidence-based clinical practice, patient safety, and clinical loss prevention to facility leadership and clinicians
- You will explain and promotes quality initiatives to HCA-affiliated medical staffs and physicians
- You will foster an environment of collaboration and partnership in the patient care enterprise
- You will serve as a key leader of the facility management team
- You will establish effective working relationship with all medical staff leaders
- You will ensure clinical excellence is recognized and affirmed through quantifiable metrics in performance
- You will help establish a strong sense of collaboration between Hospital leadership and the medical staff when setting direction and policy
- You will facilitate measurable improvement in physician and patient satisfaction
- You will perform other duties as assigned
What qualifications you will need:
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) required
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, or related field preferred
- 10+ years of experience in clinical practice required
- Experience as a CMO (or equivalent) in a large, complex hospital or regional health system preferred
- Current and clear medical licensure in any US state required
- Current or past Board Certification required
This role requires you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 based on local, state and /or federal law or regulations (unless a medical or religious exemption is approved).
HCA Florida North Florida Hospital is a 523 bed full service medical and surgical acute care center offering comprehensive heart care, cancer care, women’s health, senior care and orthopedic/neurosurgery and spine services.
HCA Healthcare (Corporate), based in Nashville, Tennessee, supports a variety of corporate roles from business operations to administrative positions. Like our colleagues in any HCA Healthcare hospital, our corporate campus employees enjoy unparalleled resources and opportunities to reach their potential as healthcare leaders and innovators. From market rate compensation to continuing education and career advancement opportunities, every person has a solid foundation for success. Nashville is also home to our Executive Development Program, where exceptional employees are groomed to take on CNO- and COO-level roles in our hospitals. This selective program focuses on ethics, leadership and the financial and clinical knowledge required of professionals at this level of the industry.
HCA Healthcare has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere Institute more than ten times. In recent years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you're looking for a leadership opportunity that provides both personal satisfaction and professional growth, apply to join HCA Healthcare as a Chief Medical Officer. Unlock your leadership potential with HCA Healthcare.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.