This job posting is no longer active.
$10,000 Sign-on bonus for all external hires!
Do you have the career opportunities as a Surgical First Assistant you want with your current employer? We have an exciting opportunity for you to join Southern Joint Surgery Center which is part of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services, HCA Healthcare.
Southern Joint Surgery Center, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Fertility and family building benefits through Progyny
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- Family support, including adoption assistance, child and elder care resources and consumer discounts
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Retirement readiness and rollover services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
Our teams are a committed, caring group of colleagues. Do you want to work as a(an) Surgical First Assistant where your passion for creating positive patient interactions are valued? If you are dedicated to caring for the well-being of others, this could be your next opportunity. We want your knowledge and expertise!
Job Summary and Qualifications
As a Certified First Assist, you will work under the direction of the operating surgeon. You will function as first/second assistant to the surgeon during the operative procedure, providing aid in exposure, hemostasis, and other technical functions to ensure safe and efficient outcomes. You will be responsible for restocking and changing over rooms between cases.
What you will do in this role:
- You will demonstrate the necessary practical, technical and/or specialized knowledge and skills required in accordance with ASA (Association of Surgical Assistants) and other regulatory standards
- Communicate with the surgeon prior to the case to ascertain specific needs
- You will share information with the remainder of the surgical team in a timely manner
- You will assisting with patient positioning, skin preparation, and surgical draping according to the surgeon’s protocol
- You will anticipate the needs of the surgeon in order to expedite the procedure, while minimizing the patient’s exposure to surgical and anesthetic stress
- You will ensure the temperature of the patient is discussed with anesthesia personnel in compliance with desired temperature ranges
- You will assist the surgeon by providing retraction and aiding exposure of the operative site
- Facilitate hemostasis of the surgical site by performing suction, irrigation and sponging during a surgical procedure
- You will assist with skin or external suturing and stapling under the surgeon’s direction
Qualifications for this role:
- You are a graduate of a CAAHEP-accredited program in surgical assisting and attain the CSFA credential administrated by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting
- BLS certification
- You have one year experience in an operating room setting, preferably in an ambulatory surgery center
- You are a Certified Surgical Assistant (CSA)
- You have a valid BCLS Certification upon employment***online certification not acceptable.
Ambulatory Surgery Division is a growth-oriented business sector of HCA Healthcare. 140+ surgery centers across 16 states with 3,200 physician partners. We perform outpatient surgery cases in our single and multispecialty centers across HCA Healthcare. We are in more than 13 divisions. The size of our surgery centers creates a culture where everyone knows one another. We have a shared focus on providing the best possible experience for those that we serve.
HCA Healthcare has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere Institute more than ten times. In recent years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
"Bricks and mortar do not make a hospital. People do."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
If you are looking for an opportunity that provides satisfaction and personal growth, we encourage you to apply for our Surgical First Assistant opening. We promptly review all applications. Highly qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Unlock the possibilities and apply today!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.