Do you want to join an organization that invests in you as a(an) Registered Respiratory Therapist RRT Transport? At Las Palmas Medical Center, you come first. HCA Healthcare has committed up to $300 million in programs to support our incredible team members over the course of three years.
Las Palmas Medical Center, offers a total rewards package that supports the health, life, career and retirement of our colleagues. The available plans and programs include:
- Comprehensive medical coverage that covers many common services at no cost or for a low copay. Plans include prescription drug and behavioral health coverage as well as telemedicine services and free AirMed medical transportation.
- Additional options for dental and vision benefits, life and disability coverage, flexible spending accounts, supplemental health protection plans (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity), auto and home insurance, identity theft protection, legal counseling, long-term care coverage, moving assistance, pet insurance and more.
- Fertility and family building benefits through Progyny
- Free counseling services and resources for emotional, physical and financial wellbeing
- Family support, including adoption assistance, child and elder care resources and consumer discounts
- 401(k) Plan with a 100% match on 3% to 9% of pay (based on years of service)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Retirement readiness and rollover services and preferred banking partnerships
- Education assistance (tuition, student loan, certification support, dependent scholarships)
- Colleague recognition program
- Time Away From Work Program (paid time off, paid family leave, long- and short-term disability coverage and leaves of absence)
Learn more about Employee Benefits
Note: Eligibility for benefits may vary by location.
You contribute to our success. Every role has an impact on our patients’ lives and you have the opportunity to make a difference. We are looking for a dedicated Registered Respiratory Therapist RRT Transport like you to be a part of our team.
Job Summary and Qualifications
Responsible for the assessment, treatment, management, control, diagnostic evaluation, and care of patients during the transport process under the direction of Director, Administrative Director, and Medical Director of the transport team. Collaborates with other professionals to ensure effective and efficient patient care delivery and the achievement of desired patient outcomes and can function autonomously in an advanced clinical role with responsibilities in the areas of clinical care, leadership, education, consultation and research. Contributes to the provision of quality care through performance improvement techniques that demonstrate positive outcomes in patient care, in accordance to Las Palmas Del Sol Healthcare mission and values statement.
1. Provides comprehensive respiratory care of a critically ill neonate, infant, pediatric, maternal patient in the transport environment using transport protocols. . Initiates, monitors and maintains mechanically ventilated patients to include the administration of respiratory care treatments.
- a. Intubates and/or assists with placement of artificial airways.
- b. Performs and documents patient assessment including but not limited to breath sounds, airway patency and cuff pressure at least once per shift.
- c. Verifies and documents ventilator function and patient status per department policy.
- d. Assists at deliveries as requested for neonatal resuscitation and/or stabilization.
- e. Administers and documents therapy according to established departmental policy
- f. Instructs patients and family members in proper methods of respiratory therapy
- g. Responds promptly to treatment needs in Emergency Department
- h. Responds immediately to codes and correctly manages the airway and external compressions
- i. Responds immediately to all emergent patient situations including but not limited to Rapid Response, Stroke Alert, Stemi Alert and Trauma Alert.
- g. Functions as a team leader in the absence of a MD and coordinates patient’s care. The transport nurse is also responsible for setting the example and fostering an environment of teamwork within the group of team members present to include RN, RT, MD, ambulance staff, helicopter staff, and referring facility staff.
- h. As a member of the team, the transport nurse may be required to be “on call” as needed to ensure adequate transport coverage.
2. Provides comprehensive respiratory care of a critically ill Neonate, infant, pediatric or maternal patient in the transport environment using transport protocols
- a. Documents patient assessment consistently, completely and accurately.
- b. Safely and correctly assists with administering medications and IV therapy according to transport team policy.
- c. Carries out appropriate interventions based on identified changes in patient condition.
- d. Evaluated plan of care to determine need for modification.
- e. Provides clinical support to referring hospital staff.
- f. Interacts effectively with team members.
- g. Communicates effectively and accurately with the nursing staff and physicians of all referring facilities.
- h. Provides in-house transport of NICU/PICU, and other areas as needed.
3. Technical/skill requirements and responsibilities specific to the transport environment
- a. Assumes responsibility for the procurement and maintenance of respiratory transport supplies and equipment.
- b. Maintains competency in usage of all transport related equipment and supplies and performs annual competencies.
- c. Maintains competency (bi-annually) in ambulance, helicopter, and fixed wing aircraft safety as well as competency caring for patients in those environments.
- d. Assumes responsibility for knowing all transport standards of practice and policy and procedures. The Transport RT in conjunction with the transport RN independently manages the care of the transported neonate, infant, pediatric, and/or high-risk maternal patient based on medical protocol and/or direction from medical control.
- e. Collaboratively supports the transport nurse in the absence of a physician in coordinating the neonates, infant, pediatrics and/or high-risk OB patient care according to the transport standards of care. The transport therapist is also responsible for setting the example and fostering the environment of teamwork within the group of team members present to include, RN, RT, MD, ambulance staff, helicopter staff, and referring facility staff.
- f. As a member of the team, the transport therapist must be able to maintain flexibility to adapt to changing work environment including ensuring a transport therapists is on shift at all times when possible.
- g. Maintains competency and trains peers to perform in-house transports.
- h. Maintains competency and trains peers to attend high-risk deliveries.
- i. Performs therapeutic procedures utilizing expanded skills as per protocols and competency-based training.
- a. Participates in facility and outreach education. Actively participates in teaching opportunities and supports team members who choose to teach within the program or community.
- b. Participates in education and/or orientation of new transport team members and peers as needed.
- c. Functions as a resource for the NICU, PICU, L&D, and Emergency Department
- d. Assists in the identification, development and implementation of educational needs of staff.
- e. Teaches, supports and nurtures new employees to afford every opportunity for success of the individual, department and transport program
- f. Maintains: required certification.
- g. Maintains current and in depth knowledge of neonatal, infant, pediatric and maternal standards of practice and all transport policies and procedures.
- h. Transport RT will attend mandatory education and meetings.
- j. Completes unit specific, department specific and transport team specific competency requirements.
5. Performs Noninvasive and Invasive diagnostic tests and monitoring
- a. Performs arterial blood gas sampling and analyses and communicates “critical values” immediately per department policy
- b. Performs beside spirometry and accurately records results
- c. Performs peak flow, inspiratory and expiratory force, vital capacity measurements and accurately records results
- d. Monitors pulse oximetry, transcutaneous C02 and end-tidal C02 levels
- e. f. Performs cleaning, preventive maintenance and calibration of respiratory care equipment as required.
- a. Functions as respiratory care protocol assessor.
- b. Participates in quality assurance activities by collecting and analyzing PI data (e.g. vent audits, transport audits, etc.)
- c. Performs other duties as assigned.
7. Quality management/process improvement.
- a. Recognizes quality assurance as a tool for improving patient care and documentation
- b. Participates in quality assurance activities related to transports by collecting and analyzing QI data.
- c. Demonstrates understanding of policies/procedures by incorporating these into patient care
What qualifications you will need:
- Registered as RRT by the National Board of Respiratory Care and licensed in the state of Texas
- ENPC Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course; if transfer, 1 year grace from date of transfer
- NRP Neonate Resuscitate
- STABLE; 6 month grace from date of transfer/hire
- C-NPT; 24 month grace from date of transfer/hire
- NPS; 6 month grace from date of transfer/hire
- Associate Degree
- Minimum of 2 years Level III NICU and/ or PICU and/or Adult Critical Care or ER
PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor Degree Allied Health Area
- Critical Care Transport experience
- Certificate of course completion for TNCC within first one year of date of transfer or hire
This role requires you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 based on local, state and /or federal law or regulations (unless a medical or religious exemption is approved).
Las Palmas Medical Center is a 300+ bed full-service hospital in El Paso. It is home to the region’s only kidney transplant center. The facility offers a range of services including emergency care with a Level III trauma center, cardiac care, women’s services, pediatric care and NICU, cancer care, and more. Las Palmas Medical Center is part of Las Palmas Del Sol Healthcare. We are a leading healthcare provider for El Paso and the surrounding region that is part of HCA Healthcare.
HCA Healthcare has been recognized as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by the Ethisphere Institute more than ten times. In recent years, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.7 billion in cost for the delivery of charitable care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
"Good people beget good people."- Dr. Thomas Frist, Sr.
HCA Healthcare Co-Founder
We are a family 270,000 dedicated professionals! Our Talent Acquisition team is reviewing applications for our Registered Respiratory Therapist RRT Transport opening. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. Submit your resume today to join our community of caring!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.