SHIFT: No Weekends
Are you looking for a work environment as a Director of Emergency Preparedness where diversity and inclusion thrive? Submit your application with Tulane Medical Center today and find out what it truly means to be a part of the Tulane Medical Center team.
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Tulane Medical Center, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Some of our unique benefits we offer include:
- Student Loan Repayment
- Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance Programs
- Paid Personal Leave
- 401k (100% annual match – 3%-9% of pay based on years of service)
- Identity Theft Protection discounts
- Auto, Home, and Life Insurance options
- Adoption Assistance
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)
We are seeking a Director of Emergency Preparedness for our facility to ensure that we continue to provide all patients with high quality, efficient care. We are an amazing team that works hard to support each other and we are seeking a phenomenal addition like you who feels patient care is as meaningful as we do. We want you to apply now!
The Public Safety Director is responsible for the operation of:
• Tulane University Police Department at Tulane Health System
• Security Services as provided by various contract agencies at Tulane Health System
• Emergency Management and Emergency Operations at Tulane Health System
The Public Safety Department merges the functions of Law Enforcement, Security, Emergency Management, Emergency Communications, and Strategic planning in order to provide a more robust functional group.
- Assumes full management responsibility for all Public Safety Department services and activities, manages the development and implementation of departmental goals, objectives, and priorities for each assigned service area; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
- Plans, organizes and directs the activities of the Public Safety Department, provides direction and oversight of general law enforcement, security operations, disaster response, TJC/CMS rule enforcement. Ensures all relevant federal, state, local, and corporate laws, ordinances, policies, and procedures related to law enforcement, security, and emergency management are followed and enforced
- Directs internal investigations related to alleged losses, theft, and wrongful acts within the hospital and recommends to law enforcement when a criminal investigation should take place. Works collaboratively with Tulane Health System Risk Management Department to assist with investigations that affect both departments.
- Develops long term plans to improve departmental operations. Evaluated pending legislation, statutes, rules, and regulations and responds to changing regulation and technology regarding all functional areas under the Public Safety Department.
- Develops educational programs related to Security and Emergency Management to provide to the staff of Tulane Health System. This would include areas such as Incident Command, Active Shooter, Disaster Management, Emergency Management Drills, and Decontamination procedures.
- Develops annual departmental budget for operations and equipment. Also assists in developing long term capital budgets for various public safety programs such as video surveillance, panic alarm systems, infant abduction systems, and access control systems. Monitors the departmental budgets throughout the fiscal year and ensures compliance.
- Coordinates with outside agencies to ensure appropriate information related to the functions of the Public Safety Department is made available. This would include situations such as law enforcement needing information while investigating crimes or providing statistics to approved government agencies.
- Establishes and assess ongoing staffing levels; monitors and evaluated the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocates resources accordingly.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates, through subordinate level staff, the Public Safety Departments work plan; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures; meets with key staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Collates required data and prepares reports as well as other documentation for reporting to the COO, HCA Corporate, MidAmerica Division, external Federal, State, and local agencies. This includes but is not limited to crime statistics and metrics, FTE analysis, Use of Force reviews, functional readiness for disasters, and other relevant information.
- Represents the Tulane Health System as the Director of Public Safety to other departments, elected officials, outside agencies or organization. Some examples are: Region 1 & 8 Healthcare Coalitions (voting member) and ESF8.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive issues and complaints; explains, justifies and defends departmental department programs, policies, and activities; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Participates on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees for Tulane Health System, The MidAmerica Division, and HCA Corporate Emergency Preparedness and Emergency Operations.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields of Public Safety, Law Enforcement, Security Services, Emergency Management, Radio and Telecommunications, and emerging computer technology that has application to the Department of Public Safety.
- Responds to and may command emergent events at various facilities using the assets of the Department of Public Safety as well as other readily available personnel.
- Performs duties as required and may assume other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
- Keeps the senior leadership of Tulane Health System and others well informed of departmental operations so they know how to effectively coordinate a response to a particular situation.
Tulane Medical Center is a tertiary care facility with 235 beds and 24 specialty clinics, located within the School of Medicine downtown campus. Tulane Medical Center is an award-winning hospital and ER in New Orleans and offers advanced medical care in the Jefferson and Orleans parishes. The emergency room (ER) is within walking distance of the French Quarter, with fast average ER wait times.
HCA Healthcare has been continually named a World's Most Ethical Company by Ethisphere since 2010. In early 2022, we were proudly recognized for the 12th time as one of the world’s most ethical companies by Ethisphere, a global leader in defining and advancing the standards of ethical business practices. In 2021, HCA Healthcare spent an estimated $3.3 billion in cost for the delivery of charity care, uninsured discounts, and other uncompensated expenses.
Be part of an organization that invests in you. We are actively reviewing applications for our Director of Emergency Preparedness opening. Highly qualified candidates will be promptly contacted for interviews. Submit your application and help us raise the bar in patient care!
- A minimum of an Associate’s Degree in any emergency related field from an accredited college.
- All educational qualifications must be compared against operational experience as this job requires immediate operational skills in a variety of situations.
- Field experience as a first responder does provide educational equivalency to advanced academic training.
- FEMA Incident Command Certification IS-100, 200, 700, 800 (required)
- First Responder Background (Course of training in a related field – current licensure not required; this would include Law Enforcement/Fire/EMS/Hazmat/Public Safety)
- Security (IAHSS member)
- Communications (Amateur radio operator – optional but recommended to comply with HCA EPEO mission)
- Four years of Security/Emergency Management experience at a manager or above level in a hospital based system
- Previous experience as a First Responder for any agency
- Experience with video surveillance and an understanding of internal security and executive protection strategies.
- Experience with the oversight of contracted security, non-sworn/sworn officer operations and event security.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.